Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter #1
Not sure if there has already been one of these threads, but I'm gonna make this one anyway. What is (are) your favourite locomotive(s)?
Mine is the Alco 2-6-0 Mogul.

Registered
The 脰BB 1014 and 1822 are a favorite:

The Swiss Re/420 is another. This locomotive entered service in 1964 and is still the most widely used locomotive in Switzerland both for standard gauge and narrow gauge:

And finally the Deutsche Bahn Br.120 that started service in 1979:

A new Swiss favorite is called a Triebwagen which is an MU or multi-unit train in narrow gauge operated by Rh盲tische Bahn in the Swiss Alps. These are semi-permanently joined units. This is an Allegra ABe 8/12 which means eight axles are powered out of a total of twelve axles. These MU's can also pull or push a great many coaches. Their torque or traction output is very high due to the terrain in which they operate. These were introduced for service in 2009. There is also a four and six unit version.

Registered
This is actually hard for me. I'm one of those dreaded 'collectors'. I don't model a prototype, I protolance/freelance. The reason is I am not interested in all the locomotives Road A had. I like Challengers, but not the Big Boy. Go figure. I have adopted the strategy where I know I am going to have the most fun, and that is to acquire locomotives that get under my skin. So, I have a hodge podge of a bevy of nice steamers and diesels.

Accordingly, of all the locomotives I have loved, these are my top tier ones, in no particular order:

New York Central S1-b Niagara 4-8-4 (6000 HP and one of only two Northern types delivered with roller bearings. The other was the Class J):

Secondly, the Union Pacific's venerable 9000 Series 4-12-2, a very respectable steamer even when the Super Power Berks became widely available just a few months later:

Thirdly, I can't not include the amazing Duplexes from the Pennsy, first the T1 4-4-4-4, also with a 6000 HP boiler:

And the 7000 hp Q2:

Finally, it's a toss-up between the C&O's H-8 2-6-6-6 and the Norfolk & Western's Mallets of the Y Class that closed out main line steam in terms of steamers for a Class One built and set on the rails (it was this model, #2200, a Y6-b delivered by the Roanoke Shops in my birth month of June, in my birth year, 1952):

This leaves me unsettled because the H-8 is missing, as is the Greyhound Union Pacific Challenger, the Pennsy J1 2-10-4, the Canadian Pacific's T1-a Selkirk, also a 2-10-4, and the list goes on.

Registered
The question:
"What is (are) your favourite locomotive(s)?"

Well, from having run them for 32 years...

All-time favorite:
AEM-7
-- the engine that saved Amtrak in the Northeast Corridor.
Great machines. Over 30 years of running them, I only had about 5 times when one quit on me that couldn't be revived. I wish I could have one in my backyard, just to climb up on once in a while.

Also from Amtrak:
F-40 -- also an engine that saved Amtrak in the 70's-80's and right through the 90's.

Conrail:
GP-38 -- a good horse that would treat you right all day, rode smooth, handled easily. (aside: GP-40 falls into the same category)

SD-40 -- one of the best heavy freight engines ever built, smooth riders, kept going.

SD-50 -- only ran these a few times, there was a reason they were referred to as "Cadillacs" by the guys who ran 'em. Smooth, smooth, smooth!

Registered
As a model: Alco's quirky DL-109 (the models run a lot better than the real ones did). This loco was almost a New Haven-unique model; only 74 were built, 60 of which went to the NH.

Real life? This gal:

She was a rusted hulk when we got her; now she pulls tourist trains daily (or would but for Covid-19). She wasn't originally a New Haven loco (made in China in 1989, owned by the Knox and Kane RR), but we did our best to make her LOOK like one during the rebuild. The cab is dead accurate, and the tender has the right silhouette due to some clever falsework, but the boiler is too skinny and the domes are in the wrong place for a true NH Mikado.

Reactions: The USRA Guy

Registered
Love the Alcos...Big Boys, PAs, FAs, RSs.

Reactions: The USRA Guy

Registered
Discussion Starter #11
All are great picks! Personally I prefer steam over diesel, IMO they have more character, but if I had to choose a favourite diesel, the Alco S-2 is it. (Call me an Alco fan, its not a lie馃榿)

Registered
I think I'd have to say the FL-9.

Two axle truck up front, three axles out back. Weird-*** Hancock air whistle. Could run as diesel but switch to 3rd rail power from Croton southward. Grew up riding behind these on the Hudson Line into Grand Central on our way to Rangers games at the Garden. Even got my picture in the cab of 2020 as a kid at the Croton-Harmon shop open house.

Registered
I think I'd have to say the FL-9.
View attachment 543518

Two axle truck up front, three axles out back. Weird-*** Hancock air whistle. Could run as diesel but switch to 3rd rail power from Croton southward. Grew up riding behind these on the Hudson Line into Grand Central on our way to Rangers games at the Garden. Even got my picture in the cab of 2020 as a kid at the Croton-Harmon shop open house.

View attachment 543519
Yeah those are nice! Another loco operated exclusively by the New Haven... Still had a couple in Metro North service up until a few years ago.

Reactions: ARR

Registered
The FL9; you sure picked a one of a kind loco. Living and working in New York I saw many of these in NH, PC, Conrail and Metro North schemes. I left New York before the colorful schemes you posted but I remember seeing an FL 9 in McGuinnes paint with the NH painted out but a small PC mating worms painted in the middle stripe. I believe after they became Conrail blue they had their noses painted yellow for when they became Metro North commuter units but I'm not sure when the yellow nose paint began.

Registered
I like big Northerns, the bigger the better. Here are three of my favorites, the very biggest I have (camera angle and perspective makes the one in front look larger, they are all almost exactly the same size). They are an ATSF 2900 class is the topmost loop, a NYC Niagara on the middle track, and a UP FEF on the lower track. All are 1:48 scale: the Niagara is MTH Premier PS3, the FEF is Lionel Legacy, and the 2900 a hybrid: an MTH 2900 body and tender with Lionel Legacy running gear and electronics fitted to them. I have three or four other Northerns including a Lonel 3751 ATSF class and an SP GS-4, and two more on pre-order (a Lionel Black Bonnet 3751 and SP GS-1), but these are my favorites.

Slide1.JPG
Slide2.JPG

Attachments

Registered
My two favorites, one I work on for a living, the other I admire from a distance.

1873 Mason 0-6-4T "Torch Lake", the last surviving example of a Mason bogie design which was a pretty early articulated style locomotive. The pivot point is directly above the center drive axle and the swivel casting also contains the flexible joint for the dry pipe carrying steam to the cylinders. It's somewhat of a mechanic's nightmare to work on in some aspects, but is a great locomotive to run and fire (at least in cooler weather).

A bit more modern, but I've always enjoyed the styling and mechanical design of the N&W J class locomotives. I got to work as a car host during 611's first weekend of public excursions when returned to service in 2015 which was a great experience. My O scale model from Lionel spends most of its time in a display case since I enjoy looking at it somewhat like a piece of artwork.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts