Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
I modeled my lumber shed after one at a local lumber yard. Made it much smaller (fewer bays) than the real one. Their better species (cherry, walnut, etc.) don’t have the ends painted. I used scraps for my lumber and scribed pencil marks to simulate individual pieces of lumber. Cost me a lot less than $20, but then, I’m sure it cost me a lot more time. And I don’t think I would do it for HO.

trains 014 (2).jpg

trains 016.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,020 Posts
Whatever the cost of scale lumber is, I figure it's insignificant when it's comprised of accumulated piles of scrap basswood... especially when it's kept in a cool dry space.
Whatever I've paid for the stacks of lumber I have, is 'dead' money that goes back many years ago.
I guess it pays to be an old hoarder.
BTW, Lehigh74... very nice work.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I just populated my lumber yard for just $20.

Follow this link, it is about the 6th or 7th posting.

https://ogrforum.ogaugerr.com/topic/yes-i-am-a-looper?page=7
Hard to tell from the photo - are the sides/ends of the blocks scribed at all to look like individual boards making up the bundle or is it just a plain block?

If you have access to someone with a decent woodworking shop with table saw and band saw you can make as many blocks as you need.

Modern wrapped lumber can be made by gluing a printed paper wrap over the block. Here's my technique for doing that, building flatcar loads from the blocks, and also a bunch of sample printable files of different company wraps (mostly HO, but the technique can be applied to other scales, or to make wraps for your own lumber company).

http://vanderheide.ca/blog/lumber-loads/

Bundles are typically 4' wide, 2 1/2' tall and lengths of 8', 10', 12', 14', 16'.

·
Registered
4,360 Posts
Ja. Holz is German for wood. Also happens to be the name of a very good family friend. Here is a shot of the real lumber shed. Rittenhouse Lumber in Erdenheim, PA.

misc 039.jpg

·
Registered
1 Posts
If you have access to take color photos of the ends and sides you can print them in various sizes and glue the cut up prints to blocks of wood. You need to keep the photos flat and pick the time of day for the shadows. Also don't arouse suspicion using your camera. It helps to speak to the manager and explain what you're going to do.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts