Model Train Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I built an addition to my layout. On top of the 1/4 plywood top of the bench work I adhered 1/2 inch green insulation board from Lowes. I had to cut and piece it together to cover the entire surface of the plywood. I secured the various pieces of green insulation board to the plywood with Liquid Nails. What has anyone used to fill in the gaps between pieces of green insulation so that it does not like I have fault lines on the layout? I was thinking of using spackling. Has anyone used anything else that worked well?

· Registered
65 Posts
Latex caulk works well. If you have larger gaps, than a few layers may be necessary since the stuff settles as it dries. It's also water cleanup so it's easy to work w
I built an addition to my layout. On top of the 1/4 plywood top of the bench work I adhered 1/2 inch green insulation board from Lowes. I had to cut and piece it together to cover the entire surface of the plywood. I secured the various pieces of green insulation board to the plywood with Liquid Nails. What has anyone used to fill in the gaps between pieces of green insulation so that it does not like I have fault lines on the layout? I was thinking of using spackling. Has anyone used anything else that worked well?
I use drywall compound applied with a flux brush. Not picky about trying to get it real smooth. When
you apply ground cover, dirt, and bushes to it; it mimics most real world scenarios which are not
perfectly flat. After it dries, if you need it real flat, light sanding will smooth it down.

· Registered
12,824 Posts
Drywall mud, spackle, spray foam, WS Plaster paste, plaster, Sculptamold. The possibilities are endless.

Reactions: BigGRacing

· Premium Member
424 Posts
As others have said, the possibilities are endless, and anything that is both compatible with the foam (petroleum-based products are generally a Very Bad Idea for use around any type of foam!) and provides adequate support for the landscaping above will do fine. In fact, if you're planning any sort of substantial top covering (landscaping rolls, plaster of paris cloths, sculptamold, ModPodge, etc.), you might be able to just roll over the seam and cover it at that stage, rather than pre-fill it as a separate step. However, if the plan is to just do a base coat of paint before, say, adding some dirt, static grass and scatter turf over a layer of glue, it probably would be best to pre-fill in any voids and obscure the line of division. You can always back and fill later, but IME it's almost always a lot easier to avoid the problem than to try to correct it later! Good luck!

· Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I appreciate the replies. Here are a couple pictures before I filled in the cracks between the insulation pieces.

Water Wood Rectangle Composite material Hardwood
Wood Flooring Automotive exterior Composite material Hardwood
Hood Automotive exterior Wood Rectangle Gas

Here are a few photos after I applied latex caulk to the cracks

Water Fluid Wood Liquid Rectangle
Wood Automotive exterior Natural material Hardwood Rectangle
Wood Floor Automotive exterior Vehicle door Flooring

Although I will not get any style points for being neat, I agree with Hobo that there will be ground cover, trees, and structures to blend everything together. The caulk was very easy to work with.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts