Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 65 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Woodland Scenics talus comes in coarse, medium, and fine, in 3 or 4 shades of 'buff'.
It's also great to use as bottom scrabble for cliffs or rocky ledges, and in river beds.
GCT-BR_f_p1_be9a72b2-1829-4705-8b76-569d35f00c07~2.jpg
GCT-B_f_p1_abbc034b-3fcc-4e2a-b0d8-f6993cf6b58a_1024x1024~3.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Lighting matters!
Bashed cheap little shop.

Placing structures on an urban corner, before trees are planted.
This one looks okay in regular lighting I guess, but when hit with a 6500K flood lamp, it jumps to life.
BeeLineShop_003.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
Small section:
This is part of the trackage through Pine's Nest. Lots more to do here.
It leads out of El Barranco Canyon, which because of space limitations, will have only one wall.
This track leads into a flagstop station and grade crossing at Redemption.

There's a matching 'hookup' section in the form of a 3-foot diorama, which will be added next.
This is a low speed zone, and it's the only broad curve on the layout that wouldn't look right if it were superelevated.
toPineNest_004.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
A peek through Pine's Nest:
Looking east, toward Redemption.

Most of the trees are JTT, Woodland Scenics, and Grand Central Gems.
Some are handmade.
But some of them are made by a quality European manufacturer. I won't even attempt to spell it correctly.
Something like "Guntesliederdamen". Got them cheap at a show. Can't find it online. Some of the boxes said "O scale", but they're not oversize for HO.
PinesNest_009.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Small portion (diorama):
This is a small piece of El Barranco ("the canyon").
It'll go where a superelevated curve developed a nasty wave that needs fixing.

Rock strata is plaster over carved construction foam. Airbrushed for effect.
ElBarrancoSpike_009.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Fred's
First full-sized structure placed.

Bashed 2 years ago, from FOS, Rix, DPM, and Tichy parts. I forget where the pumps, clutter, etc came from.
Fred's_006.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Planting trees along the access to Shapiro's Salvage Yard...
I replicated some track-waves and wiggles the prototype had, and they worked out as planed... it's a hoot.
I also finally have places to put some overgrown decrepit shacks that I bashed some years ago.
There's a narrow/shallow dry creek bed here, with a short timber bridge. Nuts, but it looks cool.
Pics later...

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
Another view of the track to Pine's Nest out of El Barranco...

It's near a layout corner, so I added a rock-berm rise to the empty triangle.
The pine in the foreground is one of those nice European jobs.
CornerView_002.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Intentional wavies and wiggles
... although moderate.

[I goofed! Too many handmade trees here. Not as good a mix as I'd planned (I have several dozen excellent GCG and JTT from shows). Fortunately, it's not noticeable from outside the canopy].

These rails switch off the mainline, and connect to Shapiro's Salvage Yard, providing the steel mill with gondolas full of scrap metal.
This view is looking back toward the mainline, to which there's a slight grade downward.

This is of course a low-speed zone, but whether a 44 tonner or a Geep rolls through these wavy spots, (with outgoing loads or returning empties) the locomotive and train will 'hip' into a moderate side-to-side wig-wag. It doesn't look like much, but it doesn't take much.
I'm not sure, but I actually think nearby tree growth can move ties and rails out of shape. Slow motion tectonics on a smaller scale... and a true form of rail 'weathering'.
Mossy ties are just about mandatory in the woods.
The decrepit overgrown shack was built when most of these trees were just 15-foot saplings.

The actual prototype for this track was laid in the 1920's, but due to some lightning-fires most of these taller trees were gone by the mid '60's.
This is exactly where my grandfather started his career with the New Haven Railroad as a brakeman (back then it was the NYNH&H). He retired as a conductor.
FromShapiro's_003.jpg

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
That makes me want to take a walk right down those tracks in the woods.

That is some excellent scenery work. Very real.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
We called it "Death Valley"
No place for the squeamish!

This is a view in the other direction, toward the salvage yard.
There's a slight grade upward from here... more wavy rails.

A favorite activity on my layout.
This track saw a lot of various switcher locomotives... 44 tonners, RS3's and even Geeps, moving strings of gondolas laden with scrap-metal down from the busy salvage yard, and then returning with empties.
The NYNH&H was involved until the late '50's, when it relinquished the duty to a private road.
These tracks are old, and were poorly maintained for decades.

A tough place for kids to explore.
The shallow timber bridge spanned a municipal drainage swale, which was a collector of standing water. In the summertime, the dratted mosquitoes here were horrendous.
Also, the bridge was the haunt of a wolf spider the size of a saucer. Us kids were half determined to kill it, but we were too freaked out, and it was too elusive.

Even worse, the bridge was upgraded to a steel girder type in the early '60's. The old weather-weary ties were left nearby in a haphazard pile.
Lots of copperhead snakes made it their home.
Eeesh.
ToShapiro's_005.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Sacrifices:
I sacrificed a reedy swamp and an oil field for a rock ledge near the canyon. It was a hard choice, but it somehow made more sense.
Mixed emotions though, since I spent weeks painting and weathering all those 'nodding donkey' pump jacks.

I'll see if I can sneak-in one or two here and there, and elsewhere on the layout.
It won't be easy to be logical about it.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
A municipal swale
(added-in small diorama).

An MW shunt over "The Tombs" at Worlee.
The piers & abutments (and final airbrushing) aren't complete.

The cam lens added depth-of-field... things are much more condensed than they look.
Worlee_004.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
Dash-2's, leaving Birdstone and entering El Barranco
(Athearn RTR).
El Barranco_004.jpg
El Barranco_007.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts