Model Train Forum banner
401 - 420 of 422 Posts

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #401 ·
Your post made me curious. If my numbers are correct (big if) a mile, 5,280 feet, in HO is almost 61 feet long. An HO train travelling at a scale 60mph would take a full minute to travel that distance. I think because of the selective compression needed for layouts that minute would make it seem like the train was crawling through the layout. Just my thoughts. .
No need to overthink it...
We're involved in a hobby that (as much as practical) represents a fairly high degree of "realism".
Running trains at department store toy-train speeds vs what looks like prototype, isn't usually debatable in veteran model railroad circles.
Given a choice between the two, I'm quite sure that the latter would be acceptable and desirable... while the former definitely wouldn't.
Personally I much prefer what looks 'real' over what looks obviously fake.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #402 ·
Unfinished trackwork
Weathered & ballasted.

Pay no attention to the snaptrack section laying on the upper line.
Plant Track Slope Railway Grass

·
Registered
2,633 Posts
No need to overthink it...
We're involved in a hobby that (as much as practical) represents a fairly high degree of "realism".
Running trains at department store toy-train speeds vs what looks like prototype, isn't usually debatable in veteran model railroad circles.
Given a choice between the two, I'm quite sure that the latter would be acceptable and desirable... while the former definitely wouldn't.
Personally I much prefer what looks 'real' over what looks obviously fake.
I'm not disagreeing with you. My point is simply a model railroad with continuous running of 60 feet is not going to be perceived as only one mile long. Again, selective compression is going to factor in to the level of "realism".

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #404 ·
FWIW, I've had various electric issues with some Genesis and BLI locomotives.
Fortunately, Bernie is able to isolate and solve them.
MTH's DCS on the other hand, have been unsolvable for us. One would not even address no matter what we tried. All were returned for refund.
The most reliable and trouble-free to date have been Atlas and ScaleTrains.

·
Registered
2,130 Posts
Interesting. If you're standing beside the tracks and it takes a 40' box car one second to pass you then it's going 27 MPH (+/-).

Looking at some videos I've posted it appears I usually run trains about 25-35 scale MPH.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #406 ·
Maybe I'm just gettin lazy
I've decided that ballasting and track-weathering are no longer as much fun as they used to be. My back is growing weary of it.
Lots of ibuprofen lately.
This would be a good time in my life for a magic wand.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #408 ·
Ancient history
The early days.

I had invaluable help from club member Spencer.
Spencer is (except for a few recent college grads) the youngest club member -- in his mid 30's.
He's a former engineer for Stephen Lamb Associates... a layout design & building company in Massachusetts.
He helped design and build a few modular sections of my terrain.
Much of it wouldn't exist without his help. His modular framing skills saved the day.
He also trained Jerry to be an expert with static grass.
Furniture Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Table
Motor vehicle Automotive design Wood Shelf Automotive exterior
Motor vehicle Wood Automotive design Tire Art

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #410 ·
Bachmann EOTD
Got washers?

Product Gas Camera accessory Cameras & optics Nickel

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #411 · (Edited)
A Missou Bayou bridge
(a drain-basin span).

Spanning an overgrown swale trench, this scratchbuilt bridge was a lengthy project... actually still ongoing.
Rather than building up an elevation, the basin was carved out of several layers of sub-level foam... the trackwork is at ground level.
Plant Watercourse Tree Natural landscape Thoroughfare

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #412 ·
I like detailing stuff
But I know my limitations.

I usually buy parts by Detail Associates, BLMA, or Cannon, but rarely from Details West.
I picked up this set for an SD45 I'm working on, because I couldn't find them by the other brands.
I was impressed because there's quite a few parts included.
The problem is, the instructions aren't clear or inclusive at all, and the dark photos aren't much help. Many of these parts are esoteric stuff, like air connections, valves, etc.
Gotta know your dieselology to use sets like this.
Motor vehicle Yellow Finger Auto part Machine
Font Gas Automotive exterior Auto part Metal
Motor vehicle Vehicle Yellow Font Material property

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #414 ·
TRACK WEATHERING
A word to the wise
(multi-thread post).

I prefer weathering track & ties before ballasting.

For those considering using an isopropyl mix to glue-soak your ballast, consider this...
The isopropyl will likely ruin any track & tie weathering you've done beforehand.
Either do weathering AFTERWORDS, or use plain water with the customary drop or two of dish soap.
The downside of weathering after ballast, (as I've mistakenly done a few times) is you need to be extra fine with applying it... either by handbrush, marker, or airbrush. Unnecessary tedium.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #416 · (Edited)
Beech tree through a derelict
I've seen this a few times in real life... twice in the woods, and once behind an old factory.
I wanted to feature a sumac tree, but they're very difficult to replicate.
Beech trees usually grow slow, slight, and spindly, so I gave it my best impersonation.
It'll sit next to a shack in Worlee.
I suppose the car could be rotted mess, but I chose to let it resemble a car.
Plant Branch Motor vehicle Wood Grass
Flowerpot Plant Motor vehicle Twig Wood

[Edit]:
The above title was inspired by the 1989 David Hayes album, "Logos Through a Sideman".

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #418 ·
Tested positive for C19... 2nd time.
Some discomfort, but built-in immunity is keeping me afloat.

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #419 ·
Lookin' down the mainline
Kinked and 'twerked' track never hurt anybody.

'Curmudgeon' Jerry hates when I do that.
But when he sees long trains running through them at regulated speed, he changes his attitude... very realistic.
6500k lighting.
Plant Tree Slope Track Wood

·
Premium Member
6,330 Posts
Discussion Starter · #420 ·
There's a concrete phone booth in the above photo.
I don't have many, but they're very cool to place around the layout.

401 - 420 of 422 Posts