Discussion Starter #42
Thanks, Hobo.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #43
Fallen trees
(snapshot).

When a tree falls across the tracks, an MW crew saws it in half, and hoists it aside.
TreeFall_002.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
Some derailments now
Points are drifting open on one turnout...
Funny, but it doesn't always result in a derail -- more often it's just surprise or panic.
Just picturing ripping out a switch to replace it is killing me.
I hate doing stuff over.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Dash-9 at the Transfer Authority
Way out of my era, but I'd just weathered it for a friend, so I railed it up.
Dash9AtTA_003.jpg

·
Registered
3,599 Posts
Some derailments now
Points are drifting open on one turnout...
Funny, but it doesn't always result in a derail -- more often it's just surprise or panic.
Just picturing ripping out a switch to replace it is killing me.
I hate doing stuff over.
You might try some carefully applied thick grease like Red and Tacky from Lucas on the pivot point. That might keep them from drifting open. I know grease is a dirt attractor but if you monitor it after application it might work well.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
Birdstone Heat & Petroleum
A resurrected old diorama (very tight fit).

This was a facility near the neighborhood where I grew up. Back then it was served by a New Haven 44 ton.

Bashed many years ago, with building materials from half a dozen different manufacturers. Better pieces came available years later, (e.g., delivery stands and the roof vent house) but that's how it goes.
To give you an idea of how old it is, the rail bumper is a lost wax brass piece by Kemtron, before any good plastic ones were available.
In the interest of photographic justice, the car is an old vintage Atlas trainset model.
The chain link fence was recently added.

The asphalt road (unfinished plaster) on this side of the fence terminates at Shapiro's Salvage Yard.
BirdstoneH&P_006.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
BTW, (ref. above diorama)...
I hadn't left a big enough opening to fit it in.
Had to run half an inch off one edge with a bandsaw, and slice an inch out of the layout with a cordless circ-saw.
Eeesh.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Mildly weathered hopper for a friend:
Way out of my era, but railed-up for pics.
This track leads to the west side of Worlee.
Local 6500K lighting.
WthrdHop_004.jpg
WthrdHop_002.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
I hate tunnels!
They're harbingers of Murphy's Law --
(even short ones).

But elevating the landscape toward this corner of the layout was necessary to place important structures above, that otherwise wouldn't have room (they need only be serviced and accessed by road).
Tunnel_006.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #54 (Edited)
Temporary uglies
(warts on a pretty face).

This train is headed out of Redemption.
One of six bridges on the layout. Two are scheduled for replacement. This is one.

Before the landscape, trees, etc went in, my friend 'Drex' brought me two cheap truss bridges that he thought I'd like. I appreciated his effort, but he buys a lot of Bachmann rolling stock, so I shouldn't be surprised at his choice in bridges.
(FWIW, I'm not knocking the budget minded. Drex can afford better... he owns a lucrative landscaping business).

In addition to the fact that it's a low quality piece, there's something about short stubby trusses in general (even artful brass ones) that don't look right to me.
I'll be replacing both with girder types like the one over the Tombs at Worlee.
RedemptionOverpass_003.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #57
and how did you build the cement abutments for the bridge?
1.) Shaped/sanded 2x4 lumber.
2.) Chooch overlays.
3.) Paint fill (to cut definition).
4.) Airbrush dressed & weathered.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Bunker mentality

We all know that the best plans don't survive contact with the enemy.
In my case the 'enemy' was me.

My original track plan called for a 3-track diesel facility as an adjunct to Birdstone Terminal with a 2-stall corrugated diesel house (an old Suydam kit).
But that intention soon began to give way in the face of grandiose ambitions. My greed to pack five pounds into a one pound bag soon succumbed to reality...
I'd built hills and rock ledges, which pushed things off the edge of the layout.

A wise old acquaintance came to the rescue.
He suggested that I build the 2-stall diesel house into a hillside. Voila!

So I might 'attempt' building a 2-stall (faux) diesel house into a reinforced concrete bunker in a hillside. With sliding glazier-pane doors.
It only needs to be a false-front affair, with concrete-embedded rails extending out of it.

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #59
I'll mix-in a Cotton Belt diesel once in a while, even though it was likely never done in real life.
I know they co-opted their caboose roster now and then, (with Frisco also) but I doubt they ever mingled their motive power.
CottonBeltGP40_011.png

·
Premium Member
4,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #60
There are three important sections still not started.
With the exception of powered rails, they're still just bare plaster and underlament... not even ballasted.

1. Birdstone Terminal.
2. Holman steel mill.
3. Shapiro's salvage yard.

They likely won't be ready to call "operational" until late next summer at the earliest.
20190117_114324~3.jpg
20190117_113643~3.jpg
20190102_161912~4.jpg

41 - 60 of 65 Posts