Model Train Forum banner

121 - 126 of 126 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #121
Re/Civil War ramparts:

In the late '80's, on a bike run to Sturgis, I camped overnight in Clay County, Mo., (birthplace of Jesse James).
At the edge of the campgrounds were the disintegrating remains of a long Civil War rampart that ran a mile into dense woods, which I imagine back then was an open prairie.
It stuck in my head for years, so I rendered a few examples in Pines Nest.
In this view of Woods End, (at about 4 & 6 o'clock within the trees) one such example is visible. Silly I guess, but I couldn't resist.
You might need to expand the photo.
WoodsEnd_004.jpeg

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Great scene.

Most people don't think Missouri when they think Civil War, but it was one of the most hotly contested states.

Counting minor actions and skirmishes, Missouri saw more than 1,200 distinct engagements within its boundaries; only Virginia and Tennessee exceeded this total.

·
Registered
413 Posts
Ohhh... love SP, especially tunnel motors. Got any SD45's? Back when I was only 13/14 years old, the SP SD45's were what I saw the most of and have always been a favorite. I got an Athearn SP SD45 for Christmas at age 14.

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #124
SSW, Athearn RTR, 45T-2...
Overworked road helper.
SSW9372AthearnSD45T-2_006.jpg
SSW9372Athearn45T-2_007.jpg

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Birdstone diesel pits
(layout overhang).

A separately attached diorama, with the Rix/PikeStuff diesel house removed.
Nothing fancy.
The surrounding area is so cramped, that it overhangs the layout about 6 inches (poor planning). A full 1x3 facia is cantilevered around the base.
DieselPits_009.jpeg

·
Premium Member
4,661 Posts
Discussion Starter #126
Weed burner
Throw-together bash.

A monstrosity, but it works...
There's no weeds on the mainline.
WeedBurner_011.jpg

121 - 126 of 126 Posts