Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In this ever boring life of social distancing I'm always looking up things to build my skills. Lately I've been looking into weathering buildings and scenery on my layout. Well a lot of videos come up on weathering rolling stock, so I thought I'd try it out despite my layout being more of a toy train theme. I have 2 work caboose' one is the cheap all plastic 2 axle without trucks shop I thought it would be a good candidate.

What do you think?

Sent from my SM-G892A using Tapatalk

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Looks good. It appears you used a wash to bring out the details. A coat of Dulcote will tie it all together if you haven’t done it already.

·
Registered
258 Posts
Add you some rust streaks from the roof line there. That always gives it more of a realistic touch.

Reactions: mntbkrguy

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
If I weather the clean one, I'll start with a coat of flat black on the trucks, and roof. This was kind of a test run. I have some other old used cars I look forward to practicing with.

Adding streaks of rust will really make a big difference.

Is it recommended to do a flat clear coat over the whole car? I haven't seen that recommendation on the videos I've watched.

·
Registered
60 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Looks great to me what did you do?
First I made a wash with some black and brown acrylic paint and applied it throughout. Then blotted some parts like the Santa Fe logo with tissue paper. I then used the air brush to spray the lower portion of the car with a rust color, letting overspray get on the sides a bit. I also lightly sprayed the roof with the air brush as well. As suggested I will making sum streaks of rust dripping down from psat's off the roof and sides of the bed with a small brush.

·
Registered
94 Posts
In this ever boring life of social distancing I'm always looking up things to build my skills. Lately I've been looking into weathering buildings and scenery on my layout. Well a lot of videos come up on weathering rolling stock, so I thought I'd try it out despite my layout being more of a toy train theme. I have 2 work caboose' one is the cheap all plastic 2 axle without trucks shop I thought it would be a good candidate.

What do you think?

Looks good, nice work

·
Registered
830 Posts
If I weather the clean one, I'll start with a coat of flat black on the trucks, and roof. This was kind of a test run. I have some other old used cars I look forward to practicing with.

Adding streaks of rust will really make a big difference.

Is it recommended to do a flat clear coat over the whole car? I haven't seen that recommendation on the videos I've watched.

I don't know what medium you used for your weathering but it looks great. I'd add some rust streaks here and there plus a little on the trucks. I always shoot a coat of Dulcoat to my finished weathering. I use only chalk so a coat of Dulcoat is mandatory. Besides, I can always go over the Dulcoat with more chalk.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts