Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Well, today was the train show and I came home with the one thing I thought for sure I wouldn't find... I now have a steam engine with no track to run it on!

I was also able to pick up the NCE Prower Cab and some Shinohara code 83 switches (four of each right and left hand). No one had any Shinohara flextrack, so I will just need to buy that online.

Even without any real track down, I still wanted to see my locomotive out of the box. I also bought a gon:

Once I actually had something on the table, I realize the recessed lighting in the room just wasn't going to cut it. So I decided to convert the recessed lights into surface mount spotlights:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Whelp, got almost all of the track I need, only need a 30° crossover which should be back in-stock next week.

I really wanted to hear and run my new (and first) locomotive, so I rigged up a quick section of DCC track and it worked great.

Also started laying out the first track that will be laid. However, my tools have not come in yet so I really can't start working on anything just yet.

·
Registered
225 Posts
Really top-notch work. Very jealous of your space. Very neat and roomy. The workbench with overhead lighting and plenty of power outlets is going to be super nice.

Those coats of paint on the foam make it almost look like a laminate top. Was there anything special about the paint, and is it really durable? I've never worked with anything other than wood surfaces.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
Really top-notch work. Very jealous of your space. Very neat and roomy. The workbench with overhead lighting and plenty of power outlets is going to be super nice.

Those coats of paint on the foam make it almost look like a laminate top. Was there anything special about the paint, and is it really durable? I've never worked with anything other than wood surfaces.
Nothing special about the paint, just regular interior house paint with a flat finish. I wouldn't say it is durable, the foam dents if you put much weight on it, but it is plenty strong for models and such.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Trying to take things slow so that I don't mess anything up by trying to work on something else when the glue hasn't dried. But progress has been made!

Main yard ladder being glued down:

Gluing down the first curve and also a few more switches:

Getting the first ground throws installed:

Essentially my goal at this point is to get the mainline installed, wired up and fully functioning before adding on any of the sidings or yard tracks. This way I can troubleshoot any issues as I go.

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
Thanks for sharing your progress. Looking good. I think threads like this help motivate those sitting on the fence, or maybe feeling overwhelmed by the whole building process and just don't know where to begin.

Good job.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Made a lot of progress today and a milestone. The mainline track is complete.

Had to work out how best to get power to the layout and give it a clean look, fairly happy with the results:

Finally, got the main bus wires cut to length and partially hung. Also got them connected to the NCE panel and installed one set of feeder wires:

Got to run my single locomotive and car around the track for the first time with no issues. Not a single hiccup or short, so all of my solder joints must be good considering this was all being fed from one set of feeder wires.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Thanks for all the compliments, I am happy with the progress and that I haven't run into any problems *yet*.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
It has been a little while since I last posted an update. Not a lot has happened but here is the progress.

Got the rest of the bus wire and main feeder wires installed and mounted:

I also realized that to ensure proper placement of sidings, I was going to need the exact footprint of the buildings. So I went ahead and ordered all of the industries I will need:

Finally, I finished laying the three yard tracks, the smallest of which will likely be used for cabooses:

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
Wow, it has almost been a full year since I made any progress on the layout. Part of the reason was waiting for a Walthers code 83 crossing that I realized may never come. I decided to just get an Atlas code 83 crossing and live with it.

With that in mind, I have laid the most complex part of the layout:

I also picked up a new locomotive while it was still available, a Bowser VO-1000, along with two cabooses and a tank car:

·
Registered
648 Posts
I really wished I had done the rails that way. Way more work than the snap together stuff I use, but yours looks so real. Thank you for sharing.

21 - 40 of 73 Posts