Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
Got the first of the industries set and track laid. I am very glad I purchased the models to help with exact placement:

The building base on the upper right of the above picture is going to be a power plant. The kit came with a coal dump area, so I needed to assemble this to complete the yard track. Here it is mostly assembled and painted:

Carving out the space for the dump:

Test fit:

Final fit and placement:

I realized I wanted to make some changes to my original track plan. Here is an updated plan that shows most of the changes. Of note, I made the industry spur closest to the yard straight instead of curved. This allows me a more realistic layout and the addition of another building. I also added another siding near the orange building. Finally, I have redesigned the interchange track in the lower right. To make it seem more realistic, the track has been extended to the other end of the layout as an abandoned mainline. So it gives me another runaround track and yard space.

In order to get the placement correct, I needed to get the road marked and work on the industry at the other side of the layout. Things are a tight fit and I want to be sure I don't mess up and run out of space for something. I have made the road wide enough for two 10 ft. lanes with two 5 ft. sidewalks. I am not sure on the exact size of lanes or sidewalks yet, but wanted to give myself plenty of room depending on what I decide.

·
Registered
648 Posts
What are all those straigth lines for, You mean you're supposed to have plan, my track just moves around until it is happy.

Looking good sir, have fun, the trains will be flying around the track soon.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #47
Made some more progress!

Got the last three sidings set on the far side of the layout. This is the closest siding to the camera, the siding with the box car on it and the one leading up to the building.

Got the S-curves installed for the industry. Got one last siding to lay which will go in between the two buildings.

Got the switch ladder set for the engine servicing area. This was a little complex to get the track exactly where I wanted it to ensure there is the correct spacing between tracks depending on what I need to put between them.

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Some pretty complex track work there in pic #3.
Nice track work.

A small fortune in Caboose ground throws.
Did you glue them down or just the nails.
Just nails will work loose after a time, I found some from Walthers Scene Master
that work pretty good as they are 3/4" long but will fit the holes in the ground throws.
Walthers #433-1411. I still added a little glue to the throws as well.
I put the nails in at a slight angle to hold better.
Also I used Silicone sealant as glue and put some on the nails as well.
They hold pretty good in foam.

Magic

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
Some pretty complex track work there in pic #3.
Nice track work.

A small fortune in Caboose ground throws.
Did you glue them down or just the nails.
Just nails will work loose after a time, I found some from Walthers Scene Master
that work pretty good as they are 3/4" long but will fit the holes in the ground throws.
Walthers #433-1411. I still added a little glue to the throws as well.
I put the nails in at a slight angle to hold better.
Also I used Silicone sealant as glue and put some on the nails as well.
They hold pretty good in foam.

Magic
All of the ground throws are glued and nailed. The nails are really just to keep them in position until the glue sets.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #51
More work done since my last post, tried to keep the number of photos to a minimum...

Got the last of the industrial sidings down:

Unfortunately, a slight addition to the railroad for functionality has resulted in me needing to add about 2 inches to the table (you can see the switches closest to the camera are hanging off of the table):

Adding the 2x4 spacers:

Adding the board, plywood and foam:

Got the ash pit installed in the engine yard:

Got the engine yard complete:

New foam is painted and ready for the last bit of track to lay.

I am debating about using roadbed for the last bit of track. This track will run from one edge of the table to the other as if it was the mainline.

·
Registered
2,977 Posts
Very nice work. I like how you used the engine house foundation to space out the tracks for the facility.

That looks like it will be a smooth running railroad.

41 - 60 of 73 Posts