Model Train Forum banner

61 - 73 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #62
Well, now that the weather is getting cooler, my other house projects are finishing up and I recent went to our fall train show - I have been making some progress on the railroad.

All of the track has been installed along with all of the ground throws:

This also means I was able to finally finish all of the feeder wires. I have feeder wires every 6 ft. on the mainline (so no single section is further than 3 ft. from a feeder). I also have feeders on every dead end siding. This is a total of 25 feeders I think. The other huge benefit of this is that I was able to cleanup under the table and finally put all of my boxes under the table instead of throughout the room.

I am not sure on my next steps, I think I am going to run it for a while to ensure the track is working and doesn't need any modifications prior to painting and ballasting.

I am currently using JMRI Operations to provide train orders, so all of the cars you see on the railroad have been put in those places based on orders and not just randomly set.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #64
It has been a while since my last post. I have been working on putting ties under all the rail joints. Amazing what an affect this has on the look of the track. Other than four places that will need ballast to hold up the ties, they are all in place.

I was also able to finally track down a Walthers Shinohara 30 degree crossing to replace the Atlas one which has been giving me nothing but problems.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
It took me quite a while to find the Walthers crossing. They stopped making them a little over 2 years ago, right before I started buying track. I called every hobby shop listed as a dealer in a 3 state radius, checked websites, never could find it. It wasn't until late last year I thought to put an alert on ebay anytime something with that name came up. Sure enough a month later one went up. Paid more than I wanted, but it is so much better.

I had cars nearly derail on that atlas one. I think the gauge was off.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #68
I have finally built my first kit. I really wanted to think about things before just throwing it together, which obviously took some time, but I think the end result is worth it.

I started with this Walthers kit: https://www.walthers.com/prr-block-interlocking-station-kit-2-7-16-x-3-1-8-x-4-7-8-quot-6-1-x-7-9-x-12-3cm

After looking at some photos of real towers, I decided I wanted to have the windows in red and then green accent trim.

Spray Painting the windows:

Spray painting the back of the walls black to prevent light penetration. Unfortunately, this did not work. I decided to buy some black liquid masking tape which you paint on the back of the walls. Waiting for it to be delivered...

More black:

Painting the mortar joints with a 50/50 mixture of water and grey acrylic paint:

I decided to hand paint the green accent areas. I thought about masking it and spray painting but the thought of masking all those intricate areas was painful. Although it did take 4 coats of green, I might consider doing this differently in the future if I ever do:

I bought the Woodland Scenics window kit to diffuse the windows so you cant see inside. I will be lighting the building but wont have an interior:

Getting it square:

And the mostly finished building:

I am waiting on the black liquid masking tape so I can prevent light bleeding through the walls. Once I have done that I will install the light. The last thing will be to do a light weathering job. I will be going to a train show in two weeks where I plan to pick up some weather chalks. I need to do some weathering on the roof to make it not so shiny and on the concrete base and stairs.

All in all I am pretty happy with the end result.

·
Registered
9,550 Posts
I have finally built my first kit. I really wanted to think about things before just throwing it together, which obviously took some time, but I think the end result is worth it.

I started with this Walthers kit: https://www.walthers.com/prr-block-interlocking-station-kit-2-7-16-x-3-1-8-x-4-7-8-quot-6-1-x-7-9-x-12-3cm

After looking at some photos of real towers, I decided I wanted to have the windows in red and then green accent trim.

Spray Painting the windows:

Spray painting the back of the walls black to prevent light penetration. Unfortunately, this did not work. I decided to buy some black liquid masking tape which you paint on the back of the walls. Waiting for it to be delivered...

More black:

Painting the mortar joints with a 50/50 mixture of water and grey acrylic paint:

I decided to hand paint the green accent areas. I thought about masking it and spray painting but the thought of masking all those intricate areas was painful. Although it did take 4 coats of green, I might consider doing this differently in the future if I ever do:

I bought the Woodland Scenics window kit to diffuse the windows so you cant see inside. I will be lighting the building but wont have an interior:

Getting it square:

And the mostly finished building:

I am waiting on the black liquid masking tape so I can prevent light bleeding through the walls. Once I have done that I will install the light. The last thing will be to do a light weathering job. I will be going to a train show in two weeks where I plan to pick up some weather chalks. I need to do some weathering on the roof to make it not so shiny and on the concrete base and stairs.

All in all I am pretty happy with the end result.
Liquid masking tape will be a very expensive way to prevent light bleed through. Not sure why just using black paint didn't work for you. It always has for me. Perhaps you didn't put it on thickly enough (I use a brush and lay down a good, thick coat.

If that doesn't work, apply construction paper and / or real masking tape. Neither of those needs to fit perfectly -- it's inside where no one will see it.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #70
Well, I have been quite busy on the railroad and have been slacking on posting updates.

I finished my second kit (minus the weathering):

Had to "pour" concrete for the first time (plastic of paris):

Got the light going

Next I wanted to work on my water crane. This turned out to be a much more difficult kit than I anticipated! Definitely the most finely detailed model I have worked on...

Finally, I replaced all of the couplers of my rolling stock and locomotives with Kadee #158s (also adjusted coupler heights and trip pins)

·
Registered
896 Posts
Hi Patrick, I’ve read through your whole thread today. You’ve got a very nice railroad there. I’m very impressed that this is your first railroad. Keep up the good work and I look forward to following your build.

- Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter #73
It has been a while since my last post and I have done a decent bit of work, so this is going to be a bigger post.

Finished the crane for my RIP track:

Mocking up my next building:

Finished Building (minus weathering):

Bought some nice holders for my NCE cabs and also bought a second cab so I can walk around the layout with it:

Getting ready for my first go at ballast:

Painting a small section of track to test everything out:

Even with pre-wetting with isopropyl alcohol and watering down the Elmer's, the small ballast still floated (the ties were cleared off completely prior to gluing).

End result isn't too bad though:

61 - 73 of 73 Posts