Model Train Forum banner

21 - 25 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Oh ! Roger that !! Ok !
Then here is an excuse for a grade !: Have narrow gauge start climbing at midway down far left, before curve, crossing over Apple river, climbing into the hills to ore/coal mine/rock quarry/logging camp/whatever, with small Bldgs/town/diner/gas station in/around wye..
Main line stays at water level route below it, going under narrow gauge via tunnel& portals...
Hope I got that right this time...
You got it.
Also considering the main line going down grade to the port, giving a little more elevation change between the two lines.

Still finalizing the plan for the first section.

@CTValleyRR - I am also revisiting the DC/DCC question. Thanks for the nudge. But I am concerned about modifying the stack of Shinohara turnouts I have.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
If you go with 'open grid' or 'L girder' benchwork (instead of an all flat surface) you can have entire yard and main several inches above frame, on 'risers'. Then you can easily have main dip down somewhat from there before going under wye while lead track to wye lifts upward and the rest of its trackage on risers as well..

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Far as Shinohara switches go:
If you connect the 2 DCC leads to main line over on right away from complex yard you should be OK not making any modifications to them..
Newer Shinos have already been gapped/insulated and thusly are 'all-live' types today.
Earlier Shinos are 'power-routing' where one route is live and other route dead depending on which way points are thrown..You may or may not have to deal with some insulators or running feeders in particular places to get around this if they are the earlier kind. But I doubt you'll have to do anything to the switch components themselves.

·
Registered
1,055 Posts
Thanks. Yes, all of mine are older power routing turn outs.
Well, you could just install them leaving enough crossties out so that if, IF you have a problem you can slide rail joiners fully onto either opposing rails to be able to add insulator(s) in rails, lift entire switch out, or do whatever, to make it work...
I had one (older) curved Shino at one end of a passing siding in main on my [DCC] last last layout, and with insulators in diverging route had no prob whatsoever..

21 - 25 of 25 Posts