Model Train Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey All I am Rob. I am new here from the Uk.

I had a nice delivery in the Post today the Bachmann GP7 in Pennsy scheme with sound value.
I love these locos. As someone only just getting into American stuff the quality and price compared to UK stuff is amazing.
A bachmann UK sound loco will cost £250 quid. This only cost £114 quid has amazing sound lights and running qualities and a great finish.

I thought this would be a good place to start meeting people and learning more about USA railroads. I have a few PRR items so far I love the scheme.

Cheers Rob :)

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Welcome Rob

You came to the right place to hear about
North American railroads. Our guys have worked
for them, and now model them. They also
love to tell you everything they know about them.

So, come back to us with your questions.

Don

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Welcome Rob

You came to the right place to hear about
North American railroads. Our guys have worked
for them, and now model them. They also
love to tell you everything they know about them.

So, come back to us with your questions.

Don
Nice too meet you Rob

looking forward to your progress.
Thanks to you both I am glad to be aboard and hear this. I have not got much knowledge of USA stuff at all but been into railways all my life but mostly UK items.

I have always been aware of USA stuff through film and TV etc also the Iconic 4-4-0 Wood burners.

It was the advent of Youtube watching Elmhurst Model Rail Club and other layouts that got me into it and working at DCC Supplies a model shop in the UK where I would do installs, Sound Projects, Repairs and custom work for customers and companies such as Dapol, NCE, etc.

Over time I was exposed to wonderful models from around the world and the USA stuff really grabbed me.

I have an 0N30 Climax that I adore and several PRR HO bachmann items now.

What fascinates me is the mixed nature of usa trains schemes and railroads seem to all get mixed up and there are lots of mixed traffic trains it seems. In the UK its mostly block operations.

So I am keen to learn as much as I can.

Cheers Rob

·
Registered
9,252 Posts
Rob

There have been major changes in US and Canadian
railroads through the years. The advent of a growing
trucking industry in the post WWII years resulted in
railroads losing freight revenues. The growth of the
airline industry caused the marginally profitable passenger
operations to begin failing.

Amtrak, a government agency, took over the passenger
operations of all US railroads, Via Rail was the Canadian
counterpart. The number of passenger trains was
drastically cut.

Then some major railroads such as New York Central
and Pennsylvania began failing and merged to become
Penn Central. They already owned parts of many other
Eastern rail companies, Erie Lackawana, Reading,
and the like. These became part of that company but it
too went under to be taken over by another government
agency, Conrail. This was not successful and two
Southern railroads CSX and Norfolk Southern bought them
out and split operations. CSX was itself a merge of Atlantic Coast Line, Seaboard Air Line, Louisville and Nashville plus a number of smaller roads. Norfolk Southern is the result of
other mergers, Norfolk and Western,
Southern, Chesapeake and Ohio (Chessie) and others.

The Midwestern and Western railroads also began
merging. Burlington with Northern and eventually
to include Santa Fe and Southern Pacific. Union
Pacific merged with other roads connecting Chicago
and the Midwest to the Pacific coast.

The trains changed. The advent of 'unit' trains. A
train of cars of a certain type, hoppers for coal and
chemicals, refrigerators for farm crops and meats,
and tankers for fuels and/or farm products. There is
even an 'Orange Blossom Special' that originates in
Florida and carries citrus products of the Tropicana
brand to the North East US markets. These would
begin where the product was sourced and cross over
several railroads to reach their destination.

Don

·
Registered
5,090 Posts
Yank railroad jargon

Robb;

Welcome to the forum! I have heard that Peco makes some North American prototype trak. That might help you avoid any import fees, since it's a British firm.

The file below contains a lot of model Railroad terms as used over on this side of the pond. I thought it might interest you.
If you ever make it to San Diego (February might be a good time to defrost from Britain's whether!) we have an excellent Model Railroad museum here. Large, operating, railroads in N-scale, HO-scale and O-scale.

Have fun;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment Model Railroad Terminology 2.2.pdf

·
Registered
445 Posts
Welcome. I am also new to models trains. Did have a train 50 years ago when I was a child. Just setting up my new train now. Two oval tracks, and lighted buildings, street lights, trees, railroad crossing lights, cars, rock pile, etc.

I got lucky and bought a lot of used vintage wood buildings that look realistic for $45.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rob

There have been major changes in US and Canadian
railroads through the years.

Don
Thanks for the great info Don. Sounds like its going the opposite of the UK gradually working towards Nationalisation. Since ours have been privatised its been a disater for us. British Rail was amazing despite constant government underfunding and De-Industrialisation in the 80s Killed it off pretty well. Now we pay more for it and dont even own it like we used too.
That said some interesting schemes came of it so I guess every cloud has a silver lineing.
Knowing me I will probably end up collecting all kinds of items and running whatever takes my fancy. I just love so many railways.
I do like to model accurately but my interests are forcing me to model realistically but with a sense of its fun just run whatever.
From Stephensons Rocket to a Climax from an A4 Pacific to a Big Boy or a Class 37 to a GP30 its all good to me. :)

Robb;

Welcome to the forum! I have heard that Peco makes some North American prototype trak. That might help you avoid any import fees, since it's a British firm.

The file below contains a lot of model Railroad terms as used over on this side of the pond. I thought it might interest you.
If you ever make it to San Diego (February might be a good time to defrost from Britain's whether!) we have an excellent Model Railroad museum here. Large, operating, railroads in N-scale, HO-scale and O-scale.

Have fun;

Traction Fan:smilie_daumenpos:

View attachment 488984
Many thanks I have as yet never been to America but I have many friends there and a great love of the country. I feel drawn to it and would love to visit and possibly move there. I am a musician too and think I would do better over there as my music is very American Inspired.
As regards track I have come across that If I recall correctly its code 83 or other. So far I am using a mostly Code 75 british finescale 00/HO but my favourite track for appearence is C&L 00/HO track which would possibly look wrong for HO usa but its the most realistic looking track Ive ever seen and best running too. I highly recomend it for scienic dioramas. Best of all you can choose steel and nickel silver. Steel is better for grip and keeping clean. Though it can rust realistically too. :)

Welcome. I am also new to models trains. Did have a train 50 years ago when I was a child. Just setting up my new train now. Two oval tracks, and lighted buildings, street lights, trees, railroad crossing lights, cars, rock pile, etc.

I got lucky and bought a lot of used vintage wood buildings that look realistic for $45.
Wow well your doing better than me. I have a 4ftx1ft plank at the moment. Its been many a year since I had a permanent loop. That will come.
I am a big fan of lighted buildings and hope to make more with detailed interiors. It adds so much to a Layout.
Cheers:)

Nice engine!:eek:
Many thanks and I agree. The Bachmann GP7 is very nice indeed I cant fault bachmanns latest offerings well made well detailed and run fantastic. I understand simpler that other USA manufatures but for the money and the modeller wishing to add their own details. FANTASTIC. I thought it looked similar to the UK Class 20 from Hornby/Lima so I decided it would be fitting for a first post of a UK modeller getting into USA Rails.

Many thanks all Rob :)

·
Registered
2,691 Posts
What kind of couplers are you using on the freight cars (just curious). And about the bumpers on the freight cars, I assume they do not keep the couplers in tension - you would never get a string of cars moving (in real life). What purpose do they serve?

·
Registered
445 Posts
I received new Walthers Sante Fe GP9 HO engine today. Daughter bought me a $190 Walthers six axle HO for my birthday. Forgot model number.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts