Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well actually my first in 40 years! I needed to make a decision between N and HO so finally decided and went with the BLI Light Mikado N gauge steam engine with DCC and sound. I will repaint the number and name eventually to go with my White Pass and Yukon theme. I will add some passenger and freight cars and have to get some track (flex track?) and a controller

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Nice, how much room are you planning to use for the N scale?

·
Registered
2,282 Posts
Are you planning permanent or something sectional you can break down? If sectional remember to pickup some quick connect/disconnects for your wires.

Should be able to put alot on couple tables in N scale.

Also get yourself a rerailer ramp. Alot easier to get on the track.
1 rerailer.jpg

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Is your garage climate controlled?

·
Registered
827 Posts
A ready-to-go layout room, Can't beat it!! :D
I like the tables on the end, long shelf arrangement! Like a long dog bone layout.
Have you considered the height of your tables? There are different opinions... (No, Really??) 😂

Best Of Luck!!
Cid

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Half of the garage. Some type of tables at the ends connected by a long shelf to allow a long continuous run.
Well that helps me. :)
I was just wondering how big of a table you were planning.
I have a 2 car oversize garage with a loft.
Around here, some have 3 or 4 car garages, or a 1 car garage.
I will reword my question........how big of a table are you planning on? :)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Sorry. Kinda slow this morning. I am not sure if it will be the good old 4x8 table top but it should be connected by about a 6-8 ft wall shelf.

·
Registered
371 Posts
Nice!! Let's see you have plenty of room a nice DCC controller and a nicer brand of locomotive. Now what are you going to use for Track??

·
Registered
4,153 Posts
Sorry. Kinda slow this morning. I am not sure if it will be the good old 4x8 table top but it should be connected by about a 6-8 ft wall shelf.
Pacecars;

Congratulations on getting started! For what it's worth, I don't recommend the "good" old 4' x 8' table top, unless you can walk around all four sides of it. Four feet is an awfully long reach to clean track, or re-rail wheels, way back there. Since you plan to use a Mikado, and relatively short cars, a 16" minimum radius should work for the retuan loops of your dogbone layout. A 3' x 3' section would hold such a loop. Of course there's no harm in going bigger, as long as you have good access to all the track.

bewhole asked about what you were going to use for track.

I use Micro Engineering, code 55, flex track, for it's excellent realistic appearance. It is the old style of "stiff flex" track that you have to work gradually into a curve, a little bit at a time. This is slightly fussy work, but I'm used to it, and feel the great looks are worth the extra effort.
Other folks, (Are you out there MichaelE? 😁) hate this track for just that reason.
Micro Engineering turnouts are very good too. They are only available in #6 right and #6 left. They look great, but need gentle handling because of their fine spike detail. The same is true for the flex track.

Atlas flex track is super-flexible and might be a good choice if you feel like MichaelE does about trying to form curves in Micro Engineering track.:ROFLMAO:
Atlas (code 80 or code 55 ) turnouts though, are not-so-good out of the box, and need modification to work right. The attached files cover the problems and fixes. The first one is mainly concerned with the HO-scale version. You can skip the first eight pages for that reason. The remaining information in it, on using an NMRA gauge and plastic shims, applies to both the HO and the N-scale Atlas turnouts. The second file is specifically about the N-scale code 80 :Snap Switch" turnout. The twin-coil switch machine that comes attached to their code 80 "Snap Switch" turnout, is basically junk,as far as I'm concerned. If you decide to use Atlas code 80 turnouts, I recommend you buy the manual ones & save a few bucks to put toward some decent switch machines.

Peco flex track, and turnouts, use a weird form of "code 55 " rail. The rail in them is actually code 78, with some of the rail buried in the tie strip. That part's OK, it makes for a super-strong bond between rails and ties.
However, they also put two "bottoms" or bases, on their strange rail. The lower base accepts rail joiners normally, and can mate with Peco's own "code 55" rail and with any brand of code 80 rail.
However, the other base, which is set at real code 55 height, will not accept a rail joiner at all, since the geniuses at Peco did not include a slot for a rail joiner to fit into. So, if you want to use Peco's otherwise excellent "code 55" turnouts, just use Peco "code 55" flex track with them.

Have fun with whatever you choose;

Traction Fan 😊

Attachments

·
Registered
3,452 Posts
Yes. When we bought the house it was the model home and the garage was their office

That's good. That means the heat won't run you out of there in the summer and the cold won't keep you out in the winter. It's also better for your sub-roadbed and track.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts