Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Tonight I airbrushed a freight car with Vallejo 70948 'Golden Yellow'. My car has the measles. Mottled paint in two colors, 'Golden' and 'yellow'. Interesting. I did something wrong. I thinned the paint with Tamiya's X-20A Acrylic Paint Thinner.

The paint seemed to tolerate the thinner, so I blew it on. Nope.

I'd love to hear some suggestions as to how I might get a consistent color, not gold blending to yellow in blotches.

In the event that my crime was using an incompatible thinner, I'll take suggestions. Denatured alcohol I have. Any better? Distilled water, too.

Thanks very much.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Distilled water is better. Don't use alcohol.
Vallejo sprays fine right out of the bottle... I rarely need to thin it.
But it sounds like you didn't mix it very well.
Drop a few #10 stainless steel nuts in the jar, and shake like the dickens, including in a swirling motion.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bottle contents I have (17cc) is latex-viscous. No way can it be sprayed without thinning. (Am I missing something?) I'll try distilled water tomorrow. Thanks very much. As for mixing, bottle design squirts paint out through a very small spigot. Shake like crazy unless I take the bottle apart. SS nuts will come from the hardware store. Good idea about the SS. Thanks for the advice.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Vallejo bottles are one of those you can't get a Badger paint mixer into.
The #10 ss nuts is a universal mixing remedy that's been used for the past few years.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
The following is an excerpt from my review/rating of acrylic paints:

Vallejo
Airbrushing.
Handbrushing.
Drybrushing.
Right off the bat, I'll go out on a limb, and say that the best acrylics on the shelf are Vallejo... hands down.
They handbrush the best, and Vallejo/Air & Premium airbrush better than any other.
They can easily be thinned, or they spray right out of the bottle without a hitch, and they dry smooth as silk.
There's also a huge selection of colors.
It's sold by most online outlets, and at most Hobby Lobby's and Amazon.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
When you shake a Vallejo bottle, include grasping by the top, and vigorously swirling it, so the bottom pigment gets fully mixed-in by the SS nuts.
You can't overmix paint.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What Vallejo version (recent news to me that there's different versions!) am I referring to? Vallejo 'model color'.

·
Premium Member
3,739 Posts
Ok, thin ModelColor 50/50 with Vallejo thinner or 'Flow Improver'.
Vallejo recommends a 20/80 ratio for Flow Improver, but most users do 50/50. Just takes longer to dry.
And I'm not liking the Tamyia thinner.

·
Registered
9,559 Posts
LateStarter has pretty much covered it: use the Model Air line if you want to airbrush straight from the bottle. Otherwise, use either their thinner or pure distilled water. All paint brands have a slightly different formulation, so one company's brand of thinner may not give good results with all brands.

I had some trouble getting nuts into the bottles. I used stainless steel ball bearings instead. But some form of agitator really helps in the mixing process.

Rest assured, Vallejo Acryilics are one of, if not THE best (in my opinion, they are) brands of paint out there. If you're not getting good results, suspect user error.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think I have some #10 SS nuts, and I'll pay a lot more attention to mixing and use distilled water as thinner. There's always a learning curve to something new.

Thanks, folks, I'll speak up after I try again.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts