Model Train Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
bman's layout

Well I finally did it, I fixed few problems with the layout that have been plaguing me for a while. The big issue I had was with running 6 axle locos, they would derail every time. So today I finally got down to trouble shooting it and I found the problems. The first problem I found was a turnout that was not the correct gauge. The was a clicking sound whenever the engine crossed a part of the turnout and I couldn't figure out where it was coming from. I finally took an old axle from a freight car held it in my hand and rolled it over that turnout. Low and behold the track was way to narrow, I replace the turnout and the new one worked perfectly (both Atlas turnouts). The other problem was a curved section of track, I think it was just twisted/warped I replace that section and no derailments. I ran my new 6 axle loco for about a half an hour in both directions without 1 problem. Hurray!!! I posted a few pics below.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Bman,

That's great news. Glad to hear it.

Nice overall view photo of your layout. I'll say once again how much I like your river ravine / pond setup. Very natural looking. :thumbsup:

TJ

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks guys for all the good words, it's very appreciated!!

The layout is 6'x16'. I would love to see those old DT&I boxcars! I would probably try to buy the same ones to run on my layout!

I can't emphasize enough how much fun this has been, building a new layout. I have a long way to go but that's just it, getting there is the best part!! My interest in the hobby is at an all time high.

For me it's truly not about the destination it's about the journey.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Is DT&I still around?
No there pretty much long gone as far as I know. I think The DT&I was bought out by the GTW back in the early 1980's. From what I heard there still seems to be some freight cars hanging around and I guess those people were right because you saw some of them. Good to know I'm not getting lied too!! I think the engines were first painted blue to match GTW but kept their DT&I logo, then later re-lettered to GTW. I don't know if any still exist as DT&I?

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Ed,

Neat link! I had a quick scan ... excellent old photos. I like the Ford connection ... I didn't know he had a major role.

Thanks, Mr. E ... (as in Mr. Encyclopedia !),

TJ

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Nice! I like the fall foliage. We're all so used to seeing green trees, that your autumn theme is kinda refreshing ... especially at THIS time of year!

(And have I told you how much I like that river ravine? ;) )

Cheers,

TJ

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,034 Posts
DTI600.JPG

A Detroit, Toledo & Ironton high-wheeling 4-4-2 steam
locomotive #600:thumbsup: is at rest in Detroit, Michigan, May,

This class E-7as locomotive was originally built in 1901
by and for the Pennsylvania Railroad.

·
Registered
395 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks for the compliments on the autumn foliage. I have to give the credit for that to my wife. She doesn't get involved in my model railroading very much at all, but a few years back when I resurrected the old layout from certain death...she said make it a fall scene. Rest is history. (I always follow orders ;))

1 - 19 of 19 Posts