Model Train Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Received my Ebay 19B and soon discovered that the dead man's handle was not removing the voltage completely from the track, when lifted. Good excuse to open it up and give a thorough cleaning. Cleaned and lubed and checked everything and found that the tab that holds the carbon roller was allowing the roller to always touch the winding plate, even with the handle released. Bent that tab upwards and everything is working great now, including both meters and both indicators. Thought this might help someone else with a similar condition.

·
Registered
5,992 Posts
Received my Ebay 19B and soon discovered that the dead man's handle was not removing the voltage completely from the track, when lifted. Good excuse to open it up and give a thorough cleaning. Cleaned and lubed and checked everything and found that the tab that holds the carbon roller was allowing the roller to always touch the winding plate, even with the handle released. Bent that tab upwards and everything is working great now, including both meters and both indicators. Thought this might help someone else with a similar condition.
My left handle throttle on my 30b does the same thing.

·
Registered
272 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
My left handle throttle on my 30b does the same thing.
Took me a few minutes to realize that the dead man's switch is not really a circuit itself, actually just a mechanical, spring loaded contact point. Pretty certain you knew this already!

After cleaning, adjusting, inspecting and bulb replacement, I am quite happy with the transformer.

·
Registered
3,032 Posts
Great that the purchase worked out for you. The 19B is the top of the line of Gilbert transformers with its power and two meters, at least in my opinion.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts