Model Train Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

On my N Scale layout I added this little animated scene....LEDs via Fiber Optic strands are used to light up this Police Truck.
Guss

·
Registered
4,377 Posts
That's cool, Guss! It's way more detail than I plan on my N-scale 4x8, but it sure looks nice on yours!

·
Registered
413 Posts
Very good work. I see you use four fiber optics for each headlight. I experimented by heating the end of a fiber until it drew back and rounded up. Then I sanded the end flat. This made for a larger end, nicely illuminated. Check it out, you may be able to use one fiber instead of four for future headlights or such.
I was trying to do street lights, but the illumination only shows well on the tip of the fiber.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for your Questions and Comments. /6 matt, The Light strand I was able to obtain from a local grocery store. My friend is the grocery manager, and during the holidays, the drink and cookie companies use Flashing Lights on their displays. He was able to pull off the strand before the display was thrown away, ( I have about other 25 strands) And the Fiber Optics were from a old lighted Christmas tree, I tore the tree apart, branch by branch and 'harvested' the Fiber Optic strands. I wanted to USE the 4 strands in each light socket to grab more attention. BUT if you look at the Lights on the Roll Bar, you can see that they are only 1. . I replaced the 4 with 1 because the 4 were very brittle, ie, very thin. . . The Roll Bar strands came from THEFIBEROPTICSTORE.COM and they are .75mm strands. So mikek, you are correct in thinking about one strand. It was easier and more stout to work with. I was just trying to ReUse, RePurpose and old item. . .

1 - 10 of 10 Posts