Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away....ohh wait, wrong movie!

But in all seriousness a long time ago I started this project, and collected a few more cars to transform in the process. What the hell was I thinking?

In any event, these are all much maligned, rather common, searchlight cars in cast metal.Basically whatcha see is what came with them...well not quite. A hole saw got rid of the raised mount for the searchlight. The resulting hole was filled with 2 part epoxy, then sanded smooth. Boards were carved in (not shown) using a razor saw.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
2 kids, a couple of moves from one apartment to another, then into a house kinda back burnered this for a while. Until this past week...

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
While not perfect, it’ll do. I have the brake wheel to add and need to seal the decals with some satin finish but that’s easy stuff.

Ohh the other regular plastic car you ask? Wife and son stepped on it breaking it in (3) pieces. It’s glued back together, has a steel reinforcing piece down the center, and repainted as it was originally a light blue, unlettered car.

·
Registered
2,213 Posts
A long long time ago in a galaxy far far away....
They look good. Are you planning a load? Heavy Equipment ...

.... then into a house kinda back burnered this for a while.
I'm moving in the next month. I had three 1915 Lionel passengers cars and loco in mid-restoration. Now all the pieces are boxed for the move. With the house upgrades I plan, no time to restore trains.

But you've given me hope :)

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I’m thinking crates with magnets to hide the mounting screws I’m using. Beyond that, I think I’ll leave it alone so my boys can swap out loads as they wish. Give it some play factor if you will.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I’m also knocking around the idea of stretching one of the depressed center cars. Either I’ll use the center section from another car as filler OR I’ll try my hand at resin casting. Not sure which one will win out yet. A covid check would certainly push the arrow towards casting...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts