Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I have some Life Like switch tracks that work fine. I have been manually activating them with a wire while looking for parts to build a switch box.

Then I found some used Fleischmann 6900 switches for a great price, although I am unsure they are what I need.

My life likes need only a momentary contact to swich it. I need only a momentary contact between 1 and 2 for left or 2 and 3 for right.

Anyone here familiar with these?

Thanks

Mark

·
Registered
676 Posts
Your photo did not come through on my device.
Yes, the Fleischmann Control Switch should work with most powered turnouts. I am not familiar with it, only read the description so can’t go further than that.

It looks to be a better choice than the Atlas # 56 Switch Control Box. Some people don’t like them because of the possibility of burning out the solenoids, although I’ve used them with no problems.
Give yours a try and let us know how they do. There might be some members along who have them and can provide specific info.

·
Registered
8,515 Posts
Mark to throw your turnout points,
you need small inexpensive push buttons,
2 per turnout, powered by an old 12 to 16 volt
wall wart or used N or HO power pack. We used
to get these from Radio Shack but you'll have to
check the web for a source now.

Don

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I got past figurin out HOW to throw them . I was wondeing if these swiches would work directly and seller claims they will too.

These also cost less than building anything.

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Momentary good. Not momentary smoke!

I have some Life Like switch tracks that work fine. I have been manually activating them with a wire while looking for parts to build a switch box.

Then I found some used Fleischmann 6900 switches for a great price, although I am unsure they are what I need.

My life likes need only a momentary contact to swich it. I need only a momentary contact between 1 and 2 for left or 2 and 3 for right.

Anyone here familiar with these?

Thanks

Mark

Mark;

You have somewhat answered your own question, or at least given the most important information. As you say, you need a momentary control. I suggest you use a multimeter to test the controllers you just bought. They look like they each have three wires, black, brown, and white, is that correct? (I can't tell for certain from the photo.) If so, one wire (black?) will be the common wire, and it will be connected to one of the other two wires when you push the controller's lever to the right. That same common wire will connect to the third wire when you push the lever to the left. The VERY IMPORTANT thing is that the lever must spring back to the center position, and NOT STAY either in the right, or left, position. Also, when the lever is in the center position, the common wire should NOT be connected to either of the other two wires.

As long as all the conditions above are true, you should be able to use the controllers you have with your turnouts. Push the lever right or left for only a second. Holding it to the right, or left, for more than a second could burn out a coil in your turnout. :eek:

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

If you don't have a meter, I recommend getting one. It is a very handy tool for many jobs on a model railroad. The meter can be a simple, inexpensive one like the Harbor freight model shown, which costs only $5. www.harborfreight.com

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Have not bought them yet. I was actually trying to get CONCISE information somewhere first. I see this forums is not the place for that.

·
Registered
676 Posts
Have not bought them yet. I was actually trying to get CONCISE information somewhere first. I see this forums is not the place for that.
Use the Atlas #56 Switch Control Box. Just slide it and tap for a second. Forget the other switches. Wiring instructions can be found online. Is that concise enough for you?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts