Model Train Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i am building a shelf track about 1' under the ceiling of my sons bedroom.total track will be about 52'.is flex track the way to go?it is square.

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
What type of radius are you planning? For 52' of track, I'm guessing the room is around 12x12, which gives you plenty to work with in the corners, 2 or 3 or 4 ft radius which is quite wide. As long as you can get to the flex track up high and nail it down, I don't see why not. You can do all your testing on the floor below provided it's not full of furniture :)

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
just a run around the ceiling on 1x6.i want to keep my gussets in the corners as small as possible but i will be running a 4-8-4 with passenger cars.so i know i need to turn a little wide.i have been tinkering with a 4x8 layout for my home office but as you can probably tell im pretty green.this is for my two year olds room who cant get enough of "choo chooos".any advice would be greatly appreciated.thanks.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Something that large you will need to add a few power leads so the engine makes it around.
My 2 pennies.
I have leads every 4' +/-. I think I have all of my dead spots covered.

My layout has a bit of overkill in that I run DCC and have blocked the layout. The DCC was an afterthought. The price was way too high when I started the layout. I wasn't about to climb under the tables and start ripping out wire. But, the lights on the detection board look neat.

Just remember to solder the leads on the OUTSIDE of the rail.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts