Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, guys, new to this forum. I’m in California, always loved British trains, recently reactivated my involvement. DCC and sound didn’t exist when I was doing it before.

Anyway, I’ve purchased Bachmann, Heljan and Hutton’s DCC locomotives, I have Hornby's 4-6-2 Flying Scotsman with their DCC and TTS. I haven’t been familiar with the latter, so if there’s interest, I’ll share my observations when it arrives. TTS is their cheaper sound chip, apparently producing only two sounds at any one time - hence TTS, or Twin Track Sound.

Also, this will be my first “Railroad Range” Hornby product, supposedly with less fine detail and maybe cheaper mechanics? I’ll share that too.

·
Registered
8,226 Posts
I have Hornby's Railroad Range Flying Scotsman, DC only, and it seems to run as well as their regular, more expensive locomotives.
I don't think the mechanics are any different.

That's my experience anyway....:)

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Mine arrived today.

Detail: yes, it’s coarser, some handrails are molded, some are added on. Brake and coupler detail is quite sparse. However, I my other hobby, r/c airplanes, we have the “6 foot rule”. Flaws seen up close disappear at distance. So too for the loco. It looks fine.

Sound: yes, only two sounds at a time, however the main sound, chuffing & coasting depending on speed and acceleration, is quite complex. The other sounds such as braking and blowdown are activated manually, instead of automatically as seen elsewhere. Good volume, of the best but very good.

Running: very smooth, just as good as any I have.

I’m very pleased. Half the price as a premium loco with DCC & Sound fitted afterwards.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts