Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Trying to line tools I will need to carve foam for mountains a scenery in general. Anyone have any reviews or insights on the hot wire foam cutters I see online? Thanks in advance on any suggestions or tips!

Sent from my LGL84VL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,308 Posts
I use a keyhole saw or pen knife to cut the foam. Then I use a wood rasp and/or 60 grit sandpaper to shape and smooth the contour. I use a table saw when I want a nice straight line (to make coal loads), but you need to be VERY careful with the table saw. The sandpaper, rasp and saws make a mess, but that’s why I have a shop vac. I once tried a rope cutting tip in my soldering gun, but that left the surface too crusty.

Martin t posted this thread where he used a wire and battery charger. Seemed to work well. About 6 minutes in is where he uses the home made foam cutter.

https://www.modeltrainforum.com/showthread.php?t=178836

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
I don't read the reviews, but from personal experience [I made one or two], I would recommend a heat adjustment or current control [to adjust it to where you feel comfortable], and a bench or table mount with a fence that's adjustable ... for most useage NOT a handheld as it's hard to hold it steady when handheld ..

·
Registered
9,780 Posts
Trying to line tools I will need to carve foam for mountains a scenery in general. Anyone have any reviews or insights on the hot wire foam cutters I see online? Thanks in advance on any suggestions or tips!

I am not a big fan of hot wire cutters since they give off toxic fumes.

I've always done just fine with the hand powered onces: saws, serrated knives, rasps, and sanding blocks. That would be my recommendation. They're cheaper and more versatile as well.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I am not a big fan of hot wire cutters since they give off toxic fumes.

I've always done just fine with the hand powered onces: saws, serrated knives, rasps, and sanding blocks. That would be my recommendation. They're cheaper and more versatile as well.
Good points...money probably can be used for other purposes...thanks!

·
Registered
3,444 Posts
the fumes -probably- are toxic, and -probably- so is the dust ...
i would rather have a bit of fumes , rather than dust several times, and again when it goes through the vacumn cleaner, that is if you get it all ..
saws, serrated knives, rasps aren't exactly free either .

in the end, to each their own ..

·
Registered
890 Posts
the fumes -probably- are toxic, and -probably- so is the dust ...
i would rather have a bit of fumes , rather than dust several times, and again when it goes through the vacumn cleaner, that is if you get it all ..
saws, serrated knives, rasps aren't exactly free either .

in the end, to each their own ..
Word. Solder fumes are toxic, too. Do we all have fume hoods? Likely not.

Just don't huff the fumes, unless you're into that.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

All good points...trade offs any way you look at it.

·
Registered
207 Posts

I'm pretty sure that the fumes from smoke fluid are not great to breathe either. And yet, we continue to use the stuff - many drops at a time, in multiple locomotives at the same time, in a space that doesn't have great ventilation.

·
Registered
1,429 Posts
I bought spur of the moment I just can't wait to try it a d-cell powered foam cutter from one of the big hobby stores. Well it wasn't even wired up right. So I took the nicron I think it's called wire and strung it between two chop sticks, attaching the ends to alligator clips that went one of my DC transformers... And low and behold I could cut foam. So it was all a bit of hack just to see sort of thing. It does create some wisps of smoke. I moved some pieces outside but this isn't going to always be an option. So then I bought a woodland scenics hot wire cutter. I have not used it but put it together and heated up the element to verify it functions. I would say that it seems a small step from the chop sticks even. It seems like one needs not just a cutter with a depth of a few inches and straight lines ... even if it can be angled but much larger cut options, shaped cutterd, gougers and so on. And possibly a respirator.
I've wondered whether mechanical tools as previously described are not on the whole better less the mess.
I think about surf board makers which I think start with a foam core. Somehow I have an image of a guy standing over a foam core sanding away in a bunny suit with a respirator or filter on his face... Or maybe that's my imagination.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts