Model Train Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
Nice ride Chet. :smilie_daumenpos:

That's a good looking layout. Especially like the icing platform and house and the mine scene.

What's the grade on the over mountain run?

·
Registered
4,386 Posts
GR8 to hear from you again Chet! I've wondered more than once hpw you were doing. I see no complaints in your post, so I assume all is well. Thanks for the video, the layout looks great.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Nice ride Chet. :smilie_daumenpos:

That's a good looking layout. Especially like the icing platform and house and the mine scene.

What's the grade on the over mountain run?
The grade is two and a half percent. This presents a problem with a lot of DCC locomotives as they have had some of the wright removed to make room for the decoder. For instance, mt DC Atlas Alco RS-1 cam pull 16 to 17 cars on that grade but an Atlas Gold RS-1 struggles to pull 10 up the same grade. At the club we always would like to have a track cleaning cars in each train and they weigh as much as 3 normal freight cars.

The Northern Pacific F-7's are Walther Mainline locomotive which have the exact same drive as their Proto versions an as you can see, they had no problem at all with the 22 car train. I just received another F7A which can comfortably pull a 45 car train up the grade. I have the same grade on my home layout.

·
Registered
8,519 Posts
Beautiful craftsmanship in that layout, Chet.

You know what I'd like to see in your video, some challenging
switching, maybe a tramp local freight picking
up and dropping cars in the various spurs and
yards. That would really look good with what you
have.

Does the club have switching sessions?

Don

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Beautiful craftsmanship in that layout, Chet.

You know what I'd like to see in your video, some challenging
switching, maybe a tramp local freight picking
up and dropping cars in the various spurs and
yards. That would really look good with what you
have.

Does the club have switching sessions?

Don
When we have enough operators we do have switching going on while through trains are running. This does make things interesting needing trains to use the various passing sidings and cross overs between the double track main line in the main part of the layout. The club is considered part of the Railroad Museum in the main part of the old Northern Pacific depot. We do not pay any rent or utilities, but the layout is open to the public during op sessions. Year round we have operating sessions every Saturday evening from 7 to 9 PM and during the summer we have op sessions on Thursday afternoons from 1 to 4 PM. Currently the club is down to 6 full time members. The layout has been under construction for around 25 years but there have been constant upgrades to the layout.

Here's a cab ride video that I posted some time last year. The guy in the Navy cap and T shirt is yours truly.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts