Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That is one rare and beautiful Standard gauge Lionel train set! You are lucky that your grandfather had such good taste in trains ;)
thank you very much but i'm still not quite sure what something like this is worth value wise(priceless to me of course),do you have any ideas or can you point me in the right direction?Do they make price guides for trains?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have no clue how much it is worth either, but I know it is probably up there... There is a price guide for Lionel trains called the Greenberg guide... Maybe your local Library or Barnes&Noble would have a copy? :dunno:
ok,thanks alot for your time.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Hey Chris, I have been doing some research on your train set, and have found some general information... Does your engine have dual motors? That would date it into the 1921-1923 range... I can not even guess a price though...

Lionel #42 Twin-Motor Electric (1913-1923)

Early electric style engines started in 1910, and
ran through 1923. In 1921 the #42 was the first
twin motored engine produced by Lionel and was
capable of pulling a large number of freight or
passenger cars. Black was the most common
color for this engine.

Engine sold for $24 in 1913, and $30 in 1921​
Later #42s became Lionel’s first twin motored
locos, but those trains reverted to non-operating
doors and had a single step below the door.​

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hey Chris, I have been doing some research on your train set, and have found some general information... Does your engine have dual motors? That would date it into the 1921-1923 range... I can not even guess a price though...
My engine does have dual motors but it does'nt have operating doors and it does have 1 step on each side so it's most likely later than 1923.I asked my mom about it and she said she thinks she can remember my grandpa saying that his dad gave it to him before he passed away in 1929 so we don't know if thats when it was made or just when my grandpa got it.It's a mystery but we are getting close and you helping sure helps out,thanks alot and let me know if you can find anything else about it or anyone else that reads this for that matter.

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
My engine does have dual motors but it does'nt have operating doors and it does have 1 step on each side so it's most likely later than 1923.
Ooops, my quotes confused you... They are from two different sources and I took the second one out of context, my bad... They were talking about an earlier model in the second quote, so by "later" they mean 1921 to 1923...

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #10 (Edited)

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I went over my friends house a couple of months ago and his father collects just about everything old... He had a set just like this, but the engine was olive green too... The sad part though is that all of his stuff is too disorganized, so this beauty was pratically hidden from sight :(
thats a shame:(

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Wow You have been entrusted to a great family heirloom. I guess this time I am the newbie. You have an earlier join date. I saw the pictures. Did you get the information you were seeking?
Bob
Thanks T-Man.I have'nt got any info on this at all,can you help?

·
Yard Master & Research
10,748 Posts
My book by Doyle is OK for reference. The 42 was 1912,1913 vintage in a variety of colors. You do not have a rare color and you are missing breather panels on the emgine. Other wise it looks good. The castings seem to have held up. The rare factor is 4 so it is somewhat rare for locating pieces in that time fame. Stock isn't always sold so it may have been purchased much later. The engine is 1/3 the value of the rare cars. VG condition was 300 but that depends on the market. Leave it original because if you sell the guy will be drooling to restore it. If you do restore, the buyer will turn critic and talk you down. The observation rates at 100 dor VG and the others at 75. Think more because it is a complete set.
Just don't lose parts! Prewar info is scarce the catalogs are the best reference. Most of the information is not published. You have a very early and desirable set. In original condition. You woulds have to go with auction houses for accurate pricing. I just saw the B&M post it is important to know about the step and door.Were you expecting anything else? Any questions?

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for all the info,the only thing i want to know is what would you think this set would sell for,and what are breather panels?can you show me a pic or tell me where they are supposed to be?I also have the original track that came with this,don't know if that maters or not.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts