Model Train Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I see no sponsors or ads on MTF so I was wondering how it is paid for ?

The reason I ask is because I saw this on another forum about what it cost to run a forum.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If you don't see any ads on MTF, you must be running adblocker.
Nope. Have never used adblocker. Before the forum update several years ago I used to see some ads. I even clicked on many of them to see what they were about.

How about you. Do you click on the ads you see. Have you bought anything from any of these ads ?

·
Registered
7,952 Posts
I see lots of ads, but I just ignore them, so they don’t bother me...

I would think the forum gets revenue from the ads just for allowing them to advertise here......clicking on them probably makes money for the advertiser themselves.....maybe....

·
Registered
4,181 Posts
Firefly - Are you sure you don't see ads here. I see them all over the right column and in every thread between every four posts. One will probably appear right above this when I hit the reply button.

·
Registered
445 Posts
"I Think" The Latest, Greatest, MS Browser that came out last month is Google Chromium based. If so then it has a built in adblocker. I just know for sure that My Basic Yahoo Email now works fine ad free & no prompts to upgrade to Premium & the $$$ cost to do so.

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Firefly - Are you sure you don't see ads here. I see them all over the right column and in every thread between every four posts. One will probably appear right above this when I hit the reply button.
Nope. The computer I'm using I built back in 2003 for my wife. It has the last version of XP with all the updates & using the last version of firefox that will work with XP. Have not had an anti-virus program on it in 5 years. Machine loads in about one minute and shuts down in 10 seconds.

I use super antispyware and malware bites to keep it clean. The bad boys gave up on attacking XP and go after the latest windows and the phones.

Used to see ads for games, drones and the exotic women And some pop up ads.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
I don't use ad blocker. I figure since the forum is free, I should at least let it show me the ads so that it gets paid something.

I addition, you can train the ads by selectively responding to ads for things you like to see (just click on an ad for something you like every once in a while, look at it briefly and then close - do this two or three times a week is all it takes), and ignore totally ads for things you don't want to see. I have done this consistently for a long time now and have the forum ads feature nicely trained to show me only young women wearing bikinis or lingerie. Now, over to the right and on top of this page now, are snapshots of beautiful young women wearing - well, not much at all . . . makes life a little nicer. And its free!!!!

·
Registered
885 Posts
I use tapatalk on my phone to get to this forum as well as many other forums and have never beensubjected any ads. :)

Sent from my SM-N960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,715 Posts
I guess the folks that started up OGF need some support to cover the costs. Without advertisements ya can't blame em for asking the folks that use their forum to help cover the expenses.

Bill

·
Registered
2,603 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I guess the folks that started up OGF need some support to cover the costs. Without advertisements ya can't blame em for asking the folks that use their forum to help cover the expenses.

Bill
I was thinking that was what the corporate sponsors were for. I remember years ago on OGR when they were talking about paying membership and several businesses stepped forward as sponsors and then many more came forward.

All the ads are at the top of the page and you don't have to click on any of them. I think that worked out good for OGR. And it's still a free forum. No members have to pay anything.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I see ads. And there's a premium membership option. i have no sense of the costs to run these things. the o-gaugeforum thing which i happened to poke in rarely -- less than ogr which is no also rare, caught my eye. they are asking to cover $3800 & want donations. which seems small but seriously -- like i don't think I'd donate. I'd just go to a forum that already apparently can cover their costs. oh well, all the annoying o-gauge posters left anyway so i guess i can't complain. hey! i was just joking ... i mean maybe.

·
Registered
1,822 Posts
No expert here but it would seem to me OGR's ads are all paid sponsors - limited to the topic. Where as, MTF's ads are internet wide and based on your personal preferences / click history. The latter would seem to be the profitable given the bazillion sites that use that approach.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
And the bazillion sites this company took over and now owns.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts