Model Train Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello to all. I recently found a train set in our closet that was purchased many years ago when our children were small. It is new, never opened. It is a Bachmann 83 piece set. The top lid of the box is red, white, blue and gold, and has "Silver Express" prominently in the center. Other features noted on the cover are - "Diesel locomotive with operating headlights and three cars (the cars are a caboose with "Santa Fe" on the side, tanker car with "Cyanamid" on side, box car with "The Rock" and 57028 on the side, and engine with "Santa Fe" and the number 307). It also has a 17 piece elevated bridge and trestle set, 36 x 45 inch oval track and power pack. It also says it has signs, telephone poles and figures. It also features "simplistic plug in wiring". The side of the box is stamped Item No. 00080 above the bar code. All new in box. I don't know anything about trains, but thought this would be the place to find out. I can't remember when and where we bought this, but it got put in a closet and forgotten years ago. Can you kind folks tell me something about it's worth? Is this something I can just turn loose on the grandkids at some point or is it collector status? Thanks for the help.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Did a little searching and there is several very close to your description on eBay ranging from $29-$149. You would really just have to keep looking and see.

I would say if its only a few years old (10yrs or less) probably good for the kids to have some fun with.

Just my 2cents worth.

Kevin

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Welcome to the forum...:thumbsup:

The Ebayers who have this at $149 are a bit enthusiastic as Bachmann train sets are not of the best quality. To fit all the accessories in there, corners had to be cut and they started at the locomotive. The trestle makes for a difficult transition that is easily toppled unless secured to a platform.

My suggestion would be to set it up on a simple plywood platform or large tabletop and let the grandkids enjoy it. If they seem to be hooked, an older Athearn Blue Box locomotive can be had for $20-25 and is rugged and reliable. It was my relatives and family friends who got me started when I was young with their layouts under the Christmas tree and on ping-pong tables...you never know if a life long hobby will get jump started by this.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
thanks

Thanks for the replies. Sounds like I need to just put it back in the closet and wait another few years for them to play with it, as my first two grandchildren are expected next April and June. Thanks again

1 - 5 of 5 Posts