Model Train Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello, collectors and enthusiasts. I am in possession of quite a number of HO freight cars that were part of an estate. Some of the cars are untouched, and some are already weathered. Which do collectors prefer? I am intending on selling them, and am having a bit of a hard time pricing them. Thanks for any help!

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
It depends on the quality of either item. If new and untouched, it might be fairly desirable to someone. If weathered, and it's not a very good or realistic job....you know the answer. If it is weathered expertly, and the artist has a reference photo of the prototype for comparison, it might fetch top dollar.

Note that good quality cars, with lots of details, especially from high grade kits like Funaro & Camerlengo, might fetch top dollar either assembled or still in kit form. I think this is where you will have to rely on auctions on line to let the market set the price for you.

I am sure you will get other replies from people who know more about selling and pricing.

·
Registered
1,013 Posts
You'll have to check ebay to find out what "market value" is on the UNtouched items.
You should be able to get at or near market value on those.

On the "weathered" items... not so much.
Particularly HEAVILY weathered cars.

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My own preference is quality cars with weathering.
If there are Tyco type cars in that lot, leave them in the shiny colorful state because those will be bought for the Christmas tree sets or the small layout for the kiddies.

·
Premium Member
10,343 Posts
And also regarding the Tyco cars, there is a strong collector presence for Tyco, and those collectors like the equipment in “as original“ condition, so weathered examples of Tyco cars are not worth anything to them....

·
Registered
10,743 Posts
Since weathering is an individual preference anyway, whether someone will pay more or less is a matter of taste. Some people want weathering, some don't. I would say, though, that a unweathered model is probably more saleable (though not necessarily worth more), because the purchase can weather an unweathered model, but it's difficult to "deweather" one. I'd say that a model with an expert weathering job is very valuable to the right buyer, while one with a poor job of weathering is almost unsellable.

·
Registered
204 Posts
Post a few pics of some items and people might be able to ball park what there is for value. At least determine brands. As others have said Ebay is your best bet. I've been building up my HO inventory purchasing off Ebay for the last few years and prices can very greatly for basically the same thing. If you want to get close to value of what you have go off what items are being bid up to and don't focus to much on buy it now prices. Quite often I see buy it now prices on used stuff for more than what you can get it new. Also if you sell on Ebay package it well.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for your recommendations, guys! I will post a couple of pictures here for reference. If anyone knows what make they are, I would greatly appreciate it! First two are original I believe, third one is weathered. What do you think?

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thank you for your help! It got me on the right track. Your pointing out the doors helped a lot ... I have now learned that apparently they came in a flat door and a 'Youngstown' door. Then I also noticed that the undercarriage of the Exactrail is red, where mine is black. After hunting for quite a while, it looks like (according to my non-professional findings) it is a Fox Valley. How does that brand of car stack up against the others?

·
Premium Member
10,343 Posts
Fox Valley cars are amongst the top in detail and quality......very similar to Intermountain, Tangent and Exactrail......

Nice car! (y)

As for the hopper car, it could be a Tichy, although I noticed that the handrails are molded on, and Tichy has add-on details....

Edit: with the extended brake wheel like that, it has to be a Bowser car.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
That's a big help again ... it's a bit overwhelming trying to play catch-up on learning what some of you have been doing for years, I'm assuming :)
Here's a picture of why it's a bit much: these are all Pennsylvania hoppers, looks like a couple of different brands (a few have no brake wheel, most have a brake wheel mounted on the back, and about 5 of these have them extending vertically as in the picture that you shared
I decided to take one set (Pennsylvania) at a time to try to organize. There are 35 of them that have the "Coal goes to war" decal as well ... not sure how much difference that makes

·
Premium Member
10,343 Posts
I’m betting that the others could be Accurail, or Tichy.....the Accurail ones will have the name stamped on the bottom.....

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Great call on the Accurail and Bowser! Thankfully, both of them are stamped on the bottom. Most ended up being Bowser, and about 30 of them being Accurail. That only leaves a handful that aren't marked. Thanks for your help!

1 - 14 of 14 Posts