Model Train Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Table Furniture Desk Wood Wood stain

Bumper Electronic instrument Musical instrument accessory Wood Automotive exterior

Wood Desk Flooring Hardwood Wood stain

A beautiful three rail Hornby Silver King set, mostly metal, from our friend, Mr. Cowger, in Florida. The wheels and skid plate show no use marks, so this should be good! I have in mind a portable demo layout for this one for model train shows. My question is should I stick with Hornby 3 rail track or venture into the Marklin early three rail track?

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, that is exactly what I have done, tracked down the Hornby 3 rail track. People in the know kindly explained to me that the center rail pick up of the Hornby does not mix well with the Marklin stud system.

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Well, the Hornby 3 rail track came in. A British fox hunting wagon is coming from Canada. Yup.

Probably need a longer base board so the viewers don't get sea sick. Will use a plain swath of green felt for the ground cover, add in a few vintage structures.

Going to grease her up now and see if this candle will light up.

Wood Natural material Water bottle Jewellery Metal

Font Rectangle Art Pattern Metal

· Registered
1,066 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Fired her up. She runs well, though with a bit of arcing and sparking that is calming down as the grime gets rubbed off the rails. 1 amp controller at 50% handles her well. Going to need to fasten down the track, it is a bit beat up and will derail the coaches after a few rounds around the round. Mercifully short video to follow.

· Registered
159 Posts
A "Bright Boy" track cleaning block from Walther's does wonders for reducing the sparking. Also, a higher amp draw due to weak magnet in the motor(if not a field wound motor), or just general stiffness from lack of use will also cause excessive sparking. I am doing something similar to your portable for shows but with American OO using Lionel and Scale Craft trains.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts