Model Train Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, just joined up ! I have been running O gauge for many years. Lionel,MTH, Weaver etc.My 14 y.o. son loves it and it's been a great way to spend time together. Space has become an issue so we decided to switch to HO for our new layout . I want to be able to run 2 trains with my son operating one and myself operating the other on the same layout. Lionel took a while to get familiar with but once understood, we had a ball. I see MTH joined the HO fray now along with their DCS system.The first of my million questions is this; I want to use digital command control as I did with Lionel. What system is the simplest and compatable with any DCC equipped engine ? I want 2 controllers,tethered or wireless is fine. What's the consesus out there ? I looked in the specific DCC forum but figured I would ask here since I am new to HO. I look forward to learning from you folks ! Nothing better than running trains with your kids while they still like you !

·
Schizophrenic Engineer
3,076 Posts
Welcome to the MTF (Model Train Forum). I can't help with the DCC question. I am an old school model railroader. I have my lay out set up in blocks with multiple power pack so that I can run a few trains at the same time.There are others on here that will help answer your questions. I just wanted to welcome you here.

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Belair,

Ditto on what Southern said. No DCC experience on my end ... rather, old-school HO and O. But just wanted to offer my own welcome ... sounds like fantastic for you and your son. Lucky him ... lucky you!

Do check out the DCC section of our forum. Perhaps more info there.

Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the welcome guys ! I thought of blocking the track and going that route. I got spoiled by Lionel Command ! My son is doing the layout on RRtrack software using KATO trackage and he really wants wireless...I just want DCC wireless or not. I just want to get one system...good quality system and go from there. I looked in the DCC forums but I didn't see any MTH vs Digitrax etc. I'll keep looking though.

·
Registered
395 Posts
belair62 welcome to the forum! Check out the latest thread in the DCC section. I gave taproot a little info on what I know about the Digitrax Zephyr system, good and bad.

I can only talk about Digitrax since that is all I know. The simplest lowest cost system digitrax offers is the Zephyr. I have not done this but it seems to me that you can use a DC power pack as a second throttle with the zephyr. If you did this you would have two throttles one for each of you!! I'm pretty sure I picked up my Zephyr at my LHS for about $150 (it's a really great store). It's worked out good for me so far. Your really going to love wiring DCC, I think it's a lot less painful than the old DC (analog) systems

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Just put an addition on your house and expand the O.:D

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Ha ! I should. I have so darn many O engines and car sets...the more I read the more it looks like it's going to be a lot different using 2 rail vs. 3. Polarity and all that wiring stuff for reversing loop etc. But I have to keep going with the HO. I think I am leaning toward Didi Zephyr with either IR or RF extra throttle...but still have to research more. Kind of confusing with all the options .

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,969 Posts
Ha ! I should. I have so darn many O engines and car sets...the more I read the more it looks like it's going to be a lot different using 2 rail vs. 3. Polarity and all that wiring stuff for reversing loop etc. But I have to keep going with the HO. I think I am leaning toward Didi Zephyr with either IR or RF extra throttle...but still have to research more. Kind of confusing with all the options .

Might be cheaper with the addition then buying all the stuff your going to need.

Plus you know and have the O.:D

I can't help you out on any of that stuff your asking about all my HO was old school too.

Just had to add my 2 cents worth.:D

·
Registered
10 Posts
i will be restarting my HO layout this fall/winter. my plan is to get a zephyr set, use my two locomotion 2500s as jump throttles, and a PR3 so i can use iphones as remote throttles. might need a booster along the way.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
iPhones ??? Jeez. I am definitely behind thetimes. Going to my local shop and discuss what's best to start with and then add-on capability. We'll get it done. I took the lazy route so to speak and ordered the Black River track set from KATO...so the fun will begin . Just built my table and am ready to foam it. My son has his eye on this Heljan Intermodal Crane....this kid needs to get a job !!!

·
Registered
10 Posts
yeah, the iphone thing is just too cool to pass up. besides, we have 5 of them in the house! gonna have trouble prying my wife's out of her hand though.

no more local hobby shops here. gotta go to newport news/hampton for that.

i still have to finish clearing out the basement/ setting up the video game systems/musical instruments/home gym/blablabla. then i can start on the benchwork. i figure mid-winter or so. in the meantime, lots of stuff to read and plan.

have fun!

·
Premium Member
16,666 Posts
Iphones?!?!?

Is that for real??? Jeez ... I am so behind the times ... me and my prewar, old-school Lionel trains. I'm spending too much time fixing, not enough time running ... maybe I can get an "app" to do the fixing for me?!? :rolleyes:

TJ

1 - 13 of 13 Posts