Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

Currently in South Florida and what brings me to this forum is I've acquired a bunch of vintage HO scale train gear. No trains or buildings but what looks to have been a very large set up. Going by the number on the boxes there were 13 medium size boxes in all to what made up this set. I only have 3 of them.

Which is the track, transformer, switches a few posters, the wiring diagram the original owner made up for his layout.

Left and right hand turnouts by the dozens and in original boxes.

I have some questions of course. And yes, I'm looking to sell it all to someone that can appreciate it.

I think the original owner, whom may or may not have passed on, (which given some dates, he may have) would like that rather than everything going to the landfill and forgotten.

So that's why I'm here.. to gain some knowledge. And make someone a happy camper with all this model train stuff.

First question is about this Lionel Multivolt Toy Transformer "Type K".

What forum section is the best place to ask questions about that and some of this vintage gear?

TIA

C

·
0 Posts
Welcome aboard, Chase.

The transformer is O gauge. If you post pictures of what you have it will be easier to give good advise.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Welcome aboard, Chase.

The transformer is O gauge. If you post pictures of what you have it will be easier to give good advise.
I tried to add pics just now. Fracking Chrome browser gives me a "can't complete operation due low memory" error message.

It does it on certain sites. Though I'm not sure why..

They're all resized down to 1200 pix.
I changed a setting in my cell which is suppose to correct it but, it didn't work.

I'll switch browsers and try again.. if that doesn't work I'll jump on my laptop transfer the pics over and post from there.

And here we all thought the digital age made things simpler. Lol

Give me a few I'll see what I can do to get the pics up.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you see this post then Firefox worked.

As for the transformer. I've cleaned it up, added some new brass knurled nuts for D thru H terminals.

What I lack is the center clamping nut.
I've tried locally and online, but unsuccessfully so far. I can get 8-32 in the right size knob all day long. But it's a 6-32 I need.

Any source for one that doesn't want $5 and$10 shipping for a $0.25 cent part?

Then there's this switch. It's a double pole momentary switch. Very cool switch. Completely servicable. I took it apart and polished it up last night. I'll probably paint it black to finish it off. I've never seen one before.

Any idea what it goes to or it's from?

As for the rest, I'll post some more pics in a follow up post.

Cheers...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Firefox mobile is not playing nice with the site either. It's a real chore to post, but I'll do my best.

As for the rest that was in the box, here's a list of some of it.

1 - New - Atlas Manual Rt #61
3 - Atlas 8RH/8LH turnout
1 - Shinohara Code 100 #6 3 way
1 - Shinohara 60° X Silver Nickel
1- Shinohara Cross Silver Nickel
1 - Atlas #6R Turnout
12- Atlas #6LH Turnout
5 - Atlas #4LH Turnout
7 - Atlas #4RH
12 - Atlas#6RH
6 - red light end track (only one has the red light in it)
1 - non lighted end track
1 power feed track

1 Bridge track I think it's called
1 switching track of some sort.

All are in original boxes. Many have 2 turnouts to the box.
Most all of the track is Brass with the exception of a couple of the Shinohara which are Silver/Nickel

7 - Atlas triple switches
A couple of connector strips

1 New Lifelike Light-Ups Flood Light Pole
2 - New Silvine S-5 2 light Signal Blocks

3 vintage posters relating to train stuff.

And the pics...

Attachments

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
One final thing I think some might find of interest.

There was a Polaroid in the boxes as well. Rather dark underexposed one but you can make it out of you look close.

I don't know if this was the original owner's build or something he saw. But he was definitely into model train building.

I took a pic with my cell and tried to enhance the pic as best I could. I thought I'd share it with you guys.

Date printed on the back is 5/70. I think that's a date anyway. Or maybe.. it means 5/70 land camera. Probably so.. anyway. It's old. And that's probably the person that took the picture in a reflection...

Possibly at a show or museum maybe? Or his build maybe? I don't know...

Pretty cool though...

Attachments

C

·
0 Posts
That is a pre-war transformer for O and Standard Gauge.

I have never seen a switch like that before. I would guess that it's for throwing pre-war track switches, but that's only a guess.

The HO guys here could give you an estimate of the value of the track.

The photo is very interesting.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
That is a pre-war transformer for O and Standard Gauge.

I have never seen a switch like that before. I would guess that it's for throwing pre-war track switches, but that's only a guess.

The HO guys here could give you an estimate of the value of the track.

The photo is very interesting.
It's feels like I've seen that set up in the photo before somewhere. It seems familiar anyway.

Hard to tell if he's behind the glass or it's a reflection of the person taking the photo.

When you get things like this, it's the little things that can give you a glimpse into the original owners life..

If he's still alive, then he's got to be close to 80 years of age given some other trinkets and memorabilia found in the boxes. I tried to look him up to see who he was or maybe some of his set ups but the internet hasn't revealed anything as of yet.

At any rate, thanks for the response and direction.

I figured $75 for all was a fair price. It might be worth more, at least from the listings on eBay, but... I really just want to see it go to someone that'll make use of it.

Maybe a model train society would make good use of it. I may donate it to them under his name.. I haven't decided yet.

Thanks again,
Cheers...

1 - 8 of 8 Posts