Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not pursuing anything approaching realism, our family has begun the discussion of having an around the house style railroad. As it is largely a whimsical project, and we will proceed with the sole purpose of enjoying ourselves, anything goes. In that vein, I want to create a functional, double sided drawbridge for one of the key positions in our initial layout, and after a tour around the net, find little to use in way of reference. I was hoping someone here might know of pictures, diagrams, plans, discussions, etc., on the development & construction of such a beast for model railroading. I will largely need to create/design/engineer the structure I am envisioning from scratch/on my own, but I am hoping there is something out there on the basic practical mechanics where they pertain to model railroads.

Very much appreciate any help, guidance and/or suggestions.

Thanks much!
Ray~

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I have seen a drawbridge on a layout. I believe it was at the Science and Industry Museum in Chicago.

I know of a gentleman in Michigan that built a lift bridge, fully functional. He also has a swing bridge, again, fully functional. You will need to wire the bridge for rail power.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,692 Posts
Welcome to the forum! You didn't name a scale so i gave you a quick example.

http://www.lionel.com/Products/Cata...1A0302B-B0D0-205D-B7EC2500DA8BE2AF&PageID=293
Lionel made a larger one, not sure exactly how it worked.

This one is geared. You may want to add a counter weight. Locally we have a small one for traffic. The cement weight hangs overhead and when the bridge is raised the block actually blocks the traffic.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts