Model Train Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all, I'm new to this site but received my first train in 1961. The first set that I actually assembled and ran myself was a Sears Christmas Tyco special in 1972. So I've collected trains for quite some time but never really ran them. Now for the first time I've been able to put down track permanently and try to resuscitate a number of pieces that have either never touched a rail or at best were ran about 35 years ago. I'm starting with my HO collection as that's what I have the most of; but I also have my dad's 1948 Lionel set, some S-gauge that was bought for me in the 60's; some N-gauge from the 70's and even a Z-gauge set that I inherited. Most of my HO engines and rolling stock are low-end; and I understand that. I'm not looking to build an award-winning layout or have everything DCC controlled; I just want to see my little trains run again. So while I'm not brand new to the hobby, it's challenging for me to take things apart for the first time. There seems to be quite a wealth of knowledge on this site so I hope you folks don't get tired of my questions . . . .

·
Registered
872 Posts
We are glad to have you, Slomo! Send us a pic or 2 when u feel like it.
Don't let us swamp you with info, just pick and choose what u feel is helpful!! (y)

·
Registered
8,683 Posts
Slomo

Sure glad to have you join us. Your train experience is a lot
like mine thru the years...started out with Marx 3 rail 027, on to
American Flyer 2 rail S guage...as the work moved on...came N scale...
then finally, the big layout in DCC HO.

You have probably realized that your first chore is to
clean out the gearing and relube the locos...that old lube
has most likely gelled...and the track will not give you
good electrical contact until it gets a good scrub also.

When you get a good idea of how you want to
go on let us know...you have a band of very
experienced train guys in every scale...and it's one
of our pleasures to help guys getting started...or, as
in your case, restarted.

Don

1 - 3 of 3 Posts