Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,668 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As a youngster did you ever shop at a FW Woolworth store ? I did in the fifties and early sixties. Our hometown Woolworth had a lunch counter and I remember sitting at the counter many times eating one of their very large ice cream sandwiches. I purchased many model car kits, plasticville buildings and lead soldiers there over the years. Don't remember the store ever selling Lionel trains.

Bill

·
Registered
4,001 Posts
We had a Woolworths at our local shopping center when I was a kid (and when I was an adult). I don’t remember a whole lot about it, but I’m sure I bought some models and other toys there. When they were going out of business, they had huge markdowns and my wife was there a lot. It’s long gone of course, but there is one on my layout thanks to Andre of River Leaf.

·
Registered
2,067 Posts
I grew up in Woolworths. Our town had one with the snack bar. I ate there many times. Tons of models, toy guns and army toys!

The only trains they ever carried were AHM/Rivarossi which was all Iocked up and only at Christmas time...

my mother used to call the place “the five and dime” store....

Tom

·
Registered
7,655 Posts
I also remember Kresges stores, they too were called five and dime stores. Kresges became K-Marts in the mid 1960's.......

I do believe Woolworths became Woolco department stores in the mid 1960's as well......

·
Registered
2,246 Posts
I also remember Kresges stores, they too were called five and dime stores. Kresges became K-Marts in the mid 1960's.......

I do believe Woolworths became Woolco department stores in the mid 1960's as well......
Correct. From:

"In addition to the Woolworth stores, other banners of Woolworth Canada included Woolco, The Bargain! Shop, Kinney, Foot Locker, Northern Reflections, Northern Getaway, Northern Traditions, Silk & Satin and Randy River."

·
Registered
1,792 Posts
We had a Woolworth's right next door to W.T.Grant's. Woolworth's served frozen custard in a glass with chocolate or strawberry syrup.

·
Registered
8,458 Posts
My little small town in Southern Illinois did not sport a real Woolworth store.
Instead, a local resident opened his WELLWORTH 5 & 10. I remember the
candy counter that featured large chunks of broken milk chocolate
and the ever present ceiling fans in lieu of air conditioning.

I enjoy 'riding by video' trams around the world on Youtube. I was amazed to see
Woolworth Stores still open in many European cities and also in
Austrailia. Doing some research, I found that when the Woolworth
execs decided to close shop, investors bought the stores outside of the U.S.

Don

·
Registered
683 Posts
Far back in my memory, I recall a small Woolworth store in a shopping center in Wilton, CT -- which actually was the first (small) shopping center I can recall in the area of SW CT I lived in. Seems to me it had a small soda fountain there, too. But that was back in the mid-1950s -- so long ago...!

·
Registered
8,644 Posts
I remember Woolworths Stores fondly. I still remember the route from the front door to the toys and model kit section in the store in my grandparnets town. I have a Woolworths on my layout.
Woolworths.jpg

·
Registered
1,052 Posts
Thr Woolworth's in my hometown in Bellaire, Ohio was across the street from Murphy's and Grants. All were considered 5 & 10s. The Woolworth's was the oldest going back at least to the 1920s and probably in the same location. Not sure when it closed. They did sell Marx train sets.

·
Registered
140 Posts
We had a Woolworth's in a town nearby. I always liked going there as a kid. I kitbashed one for my layout as well. Haven't gotten around to doing an interior yet. My version is quite a bit larger than the real one I used to go to.

Annville 5.jpg

·
Registered
43 Posts
We had a Woolworth, G.C.Murphy and McCrory’s in my hometown in central PA.

When we visit family up there in the summer it saddens me to see how dead the downtown area is now on a Saturday evening.

Curt

1 - 20 of 41 Posts