Model Train Forum banner

21 - 40 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
5,025 Posts
There was a Woolworths in my neighborhood. It had a soda fountain. I bought a lot of candy and gum. Plus there was a lot of stuff in that store. At one time they even sold fried chicken.

·
Registered
4,332 Posts
Never had a Woolworth's where we lived. As kids, my sister and I needed our teeth straightened. The nearest orthodontist was in a town 100 miles away. We'd drive there every month or so as needed. Always stopped at Woolworth's, usually at the lunch counter, and to maybe buy a new model airplane...I had bunches of them. Always called the stores the "dime store". I miss cheap prices and simple lunch counters...

·
Registered
378 Posts
I have lived in the greater Kansas City area all of my life so far. When I was a kid Woolworth was located in Kansas City Mo. only. My folks lived across the KAW river in Kansas City, Kansas. The folks shopped at similar stores in that town. Namely KATZ DRUG STORES ran by the Katz brothers, Gorman's & T.G.& Y. stores. My father purchased our first Lionel items at either Katz Drug or Gorman's Dept. store. Interesting links to both stores listed below. In my adult life there was a Woolco in the Truman Corners Shopping Mall in Grandview Mo. that store closed in the 1970's. An early Sam's Club occupied the building until moving to a new facility. The building was razed fairly soon after the Sam's Club moved out. I remember buying a Rototiller at that Woolco Store. Oh yeah Woolco did sell HO Gauge back then.

List of Woolworth buildings - Wikipedia

·
Registered
447 Posts
I grew up in New Hyde Park, NY. on Long Island.. I seem to recall a Woolworths on Hillside Ave.. and do remember a Kresge's at the newer, Lake Success shopping center. Sperry-Rand was across the street but kind of set back a ways. There was a restaurant at the first corner of LS shopping center where we'd go get a Lime Rickey which came in a tall frosted-glass, glass..Some stores called sodas 'phosphates' then..! Anyone recall these ? 🛤🌄🌵

·
Registered
2,578 Posts
I grew up in New Hyde Park, NY. on Long Island.. I seem to recall a Woolworths on Hillside Ave.. and do remember a Kresge's at the newer, Lake Success shopping center. Sperry-Rand was across the street but kind of set back a ways. There was a restaurant at the first corner of LS shopping center where we'd go get a Lime Rickey which came in a tall frosted-glass, glass..Some stores called sodas 'phosphates' then..! Anyone recall these ? 🛤🌄🌵
I do miss the soda fountains from the five and dime stores. My favorite was a vanilla phosphates

·
Registered
39 Posts
I don't think phosphates and sodas were quite the same thing. Might be a regional difference, though. I recall sodas being made with some magical, pressurized contraption and phosphates were made by adding a couple of drops to each drink from a bottle. Cherry phosphate was my favorite.

On the rare 220 mile trips to Denver we would go to the downtown Woolworths and go to the counter for a treat. Woolworths is long gone, but I think the building is still there.

·
Registered
85 Posts
Was that the Silver Moon Diner. I worked at Sperrys for 12 years. There was a Woolworths on Union turnpike near Mays department store not far from Lake Success.

·
Registered
447 Posts
Mike. I do not recall the name. But I think I'm right that it was on the far west corner of mall..Did you visit the Nassau Model RR club on Hillside in Williston Park ?

·
Registered
85 Posts
🌈Like WWWOOOOWWW !!! OK, I have question: What was the distinct scent you got, walking in, that apparently no other club had or has ?!! If you get this you win the kewpie doll !
I don't remember any smell. What I do remember is the New York Rangers practice at an ice skating rink a few blocks from there. This was in the early 70's.

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
When I was about 12 we moved from an apartment in Manhattan to a house in eastern Queens. That first Christmas time there Dad drove us out to the Lake Success Shopping Center where there was a store I believe was named Masters. They had Lionel Trains on display on the wall. While the rest of the family shopped I stared at those trains. I was thrilled when I found a set under the tree. Nice memory, thanks.

·
Registered
447 Posts
First Mike : Oh ! I was assuming you were there in the late 50s like me..So apparently it was gone by then. But there was a strong scent of cinnamon in the room..They spread it loosely over the terrain to give some sort of earth color they wanted..To this day when I smell cinnamon I go right back to the Montauk Valley RR !! And clubs not having it seem to be lacking it, psychologically speaking... If you have a layout, sprinkle some on it.. It's quite interesting and appealing..

Gramps : I completely forgot about Masters !! Though I can't picture it now, the name is strong in my memories of NHP and of parts of Queens.. Did either of you go to Lafayette Radio, also on Hillside Av., Jamaica. ? Had to take the Schenck bus at NHP Rd and Hillside, in front of a Texaco station, to Queens...Also to get the E or F train (subway) into Manhattan...My father worked in Manhattan and would take me with him time to time...Soon as we got on the train I HAD TO make my dad go to the front car so I could watch the gleamy tracks and signals flying by in the dark tunnels; my hands cupped around my face on the wire-impregnated glass in the door.. Many times the motorman kept his cab door open and I would undulate between the window and his door, watching him work his controls.

Que up the "All in the Family" theme: "Those Were the Days"

·
Registered
1,790 Posts
I took the Q2 bus from Queens Village into Jamaica many times and I rode the E & F trains back into Manhattan often and did the same thing in the front car. In fact I did it on every train I rode. My Grandmother still lived in Manhattan and I would stay there sometimes and visit the old neighborhood up into my teens. In the 70's my parents moved to Williston Park. I was married by then but we would visit and there was a great Italian restaurant called Umberto's on NHP Road and Jericho Tpke. I don't remember going back to Lake Success after that first year, there were bigger shopping centers at Roosevelt Field and Valley Stream.

·
Registered
447 Posts
🌈 At some point I will post an OP titled "My sad experience at New Hyde Park station". No energy for it now. And I want it to be a separate thread...
Thanks for the great replies !! 🛤🌇🛤🗽

·
Registered
9,393 Posts
Woolworth ,were else could you get an ice-cream sandwich,a parakeet and a pack of underwear all in one place ?
O. W. Houtz and Son, State College PA. Just far enough away from Penn State that the students didn't rely go there, so it catered to locals. You could do your grocery shopping there, too.

And while it WAS only a block from the railroad station, the Pennsy gave up on that route in the mid '50s.

·
Registered
85 Posts
My parent took me to Masters to buy me my Tom Seaver autograph baseball glove. I still have it !
Umberoto's has some of the best pizza. People came from all over to eat it.
Anyone ever have a knish from the Jewish Deli at the end of the Lake Success mall ? Lofts chocolate ? The hotdog stand between J.C.Penny and Masters.

21 - 40 of 41 Posts