Model Train Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This viaduct is a marvelous master piece and hard to duplicate. I was told many years ago by an old timer on a John Allen Yahoo group that the original viaduct was probably carved from a solid block of Linoleum? Easily available in 1946.
This is my practice viaduct

Attachments

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,338 Posts
I think you did a good job replicating it.

I wonder why a viaduct would be needed there?
Most of the time these were made to cross a river or stream.

I think yours look great. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
Overseas they are also used to span valleys or other deep depressions that would not allow a track to be laid. There doesn't necessarily have to be water.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,338 Posts
Overseas they are also used to span valleys or other deep depressions that would not allow a track to be laid. There doesn't necessarily have to be water.
True, but the one shown seems mostly to be on level ground.
The one span has a bunch of what looks like dirt in it.
I guess he just wanted to add a viaduct.:)

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for looking Fellas and the nice comments. They are really appreciated. As I stated this was the practice model. I am very near finishing the one that will be permanent on my version of the original 3'-7" x 6'8" from 1946. I will be posting pictures of the new viaduct build probably tomorrow. I have another posting My New layout boyhood fascination and tribute. I will be posting some pictures there as well.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,338 Posts
Thanks for looking Fellas and the nice comments. They are really appreciated. As I stated this was the practice model. I am very near finishing the one that will be permanent on my version of the original 3'-7" x 6'8" from 1946. I will be posting pictures of the new viaduct build probably tomorrow. I have another posting My New layout boyhood fascination and tribute. I will be posting some pictures there as well.
HAPPY HOLIDAYS to everyone!
What will happen to the practice viaduct?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
My second attempt

This viaduct is a marvelous master piece and hard to duplicate. I was told many years ago by an old timer on a John Allen Yahoo group that the original viaduct was probably carved from a solid block of Linoleum? Easily available in 1946.
This is my practice viaduct. Honestly it was never intended to be a practice. It ended up my first attempt. After time I realized the size of the brick was more suitable to HO house brick and not a Railroad bridge. I did not care for some of the material I used, my construction techniques and the quality. Sometimes you just have to start over. The following are pictures of the construction process. I am to the point of recreating the concrete steps at the left hand side of Johns original viaduct. I hope I can do it.[/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH][/ATTACH]

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Viaduct and stairs

I've been working on the concrete steps for the viaduct I will post a picture of what I a I am trying to duplicate and where I am at. HO steps are near impossible for this old man to do from scratch. So I started with Laserkit #332 stair sets. You are supplied with 2 complete stair kits. They are nice to work with. They cost $7.95 and well worth it. I will be adding additional steps and in the end try and make them look like concrete.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,730 Posts
EXCELLENT work!! Man, you have waaay more patience than I have!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts