Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife found this set at a garage sale (and another N-scale one) and brought it home to surprise me. It only included the cars and the loco. She paid $10 for both. I found a pic of the set in the box using Google. I have all of the cars displayed in the set. I plan to keep and use this set since it runs like new and is perfectly quite and smooth. The loco has 12 wheel drive (SD-40 I think). I do have the following questions: 1. Who made this? It say made in Slovenia By IIEHANO on the loco. I have never heard of them. 2: The road number is 2001, is that also when it was made? 3: What was the origional selling price? 4: Has anyone seen this before? Attached are links to the pictures of it and the picture of the box I found using Google.

Attachments

·
Registered
222 Posts
I just found 2 of sets of them on e-bay.search under model trains. for
eckerd. one said they were made by IHC.they were listed under HO scale.there were also a few loose car also for sale.

Ron

·
Registered
762 Posts
The loco looks more like an SD40-2 (EMD).
Just a thought since there are three vents at the rear on top one in the middle being smaller and having two vents above the dynamic brake and the long nose.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
That would be an SD40-2 as BC pointed out. Mehano is the manufacturer, they did a lot of work for IHC. 2001 is the year of issue though I couldn't tell you the price. I can tell you that a sawbuck for that set is a pretty good deal:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
Ya, I knew it was a sd40-2.

This may be a little random but.
I dont like it when model maunfacturers put unrealistic roadnumbers on their engines and rollingstock. Especially with Lionel and the T-#####. It just doesn't look rite.

·
Registered
5,256 Posts
Know what you mean, BC, it doesn't take that much work to fake it.

That's what makes this Bachmann GP38 so cool. For a super cheap trainset loc, it is the correct road number and unit for Conrail...how cool is that?:thumbsup:

·
Registered
762 Posts
That is a Bachmann? It looks just like my Life-Like GP38.

Yes, roadnumbers are important to me and have to be reallistic as posible, unfortunatly this one is not perfect. This is actaully suppose to be a MLW M-630 not a GP38. But it's bcrail and they are hard to find.

·
Registered
2,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I just found 2 of sets of them on e-bay.search under model trains. for
eckerd. one said they were made by IHC.they were listed under HO scale.there were also a few loose car also for sale.

Ron
Now knowing the manufacturer what is the possibility that is I find a different shell for the same model loco on EBay they will be interchangeable? I am impresses with how well this loco runs for a cheep one. I can even make it creep, it runs silent and is very smooth. I would like to keep the current shell just because I have the full set of cars.

·
Yard Master & Research
10,693 Posts
Trial and error. I have worked with a few HO switchers. Their shells were very much alike but not exact. I would guess with some cut and epoxy something should work. This is a common question but a vast unknown.

·
Registered
762 Posts
My GP38 is new, old stock never run. I haven't even used it myself yet. Just bought it from ebay with a Lima as well.

It looks good in the photo but close up there is some un even painting.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts