Model Train Forum banner

Garage Sale find, anyone have more info on it?

3K views 10 replies 5 participants last post by  B.C.RAIL 
#1 ·
My wife found this set at a garage sale (and another N-scale one) and brought it home to surprise me. It only included the cars and the loco. She paid $10 for both. I found a pic of the set in the box using Google. I have all of the cars displayed in the set. I plan to keep and use this set since it runs like new and is perfectly quite and smooth. The loco has 12 wheel drive (SD-40 I think). I do have the following questions: 1. Who made this? It say made in Slovenia By IIEHANO on the loco. I have never heard of them. 2: The road number is 2001, is that also when it was made? 3: What was the origional selling price? 4: Has anyone seen this before? Attached are links to the pictures of it and the picture of the box I found using Google.

Attachments

See less See more
#8 ·
Now knowing the manufacturer what is the possibility that is I find a different shell for the same model loco on EBay they will be interchangeable? I am impresses with how well this loco runs for a cheep one. I can even make it creep, it runs silent and is very smooth. I would like to keep the current shell just because I have the full set of cars.

#4 ·
That would be an SD40-2 as BC pointed out. Mehano is the manufacturer, they did a lot of work for IHC. 2001 is the year of issue though I couldn't tell you the price. I can tell you that a sawbuck for that set is a pretty good deal:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

#5 ·
Ya, I knew it was a sd40-2.

This may be a little random but.
I dont like it when model maunfacturers put unrealistic roadnumbers on their engines and rollingstock. Especially with Lionel and the T-#####. It just doesn't look rite.

#7 ·
That is a Bachmann? It looks just like my Life-Like GP38.

Yes, roadnumbers are important to me and have to be reallistic as posible, unfortunatly this one is not perfect. This is actaully suppose to be a MLW M-630 not a GP38. But it's bcrail and they are hard to find.

#9 ·
Trial and error. I have worked with a few HO switchers. Their shells were very much alike but not exact. I would guess with some cut and epoxy something should work. This is a common question but a vast unknown.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.