Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been considering starting a railway in my small garden but don't know much about this topic. I'm not sure what track to use or where to get the items that I need. I also don't know if I should use a certain type of controller, either dc or dcc, or what brand train or track. Do garden railways usually have extra buildings? I was thinking people here would know about this topic.
Thanks!

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
I've been considering starting a railway in my small garden but don't know much about this topic. I'm not sure what track to use or where to get the items that I need. I also don't know if I should use a certain type of controller, either dc or dcc, or what brand train or track. Do garden railways usually have extra buildings? I was thinking people here would know about this topic.
Thanks!
A lot about Garden RR here, All-Gauge Model Railroading Page
Scroll down to Large scale and Garden railways.
Lots of how to and pictures and more there.
I never did G a scale layout outside.

We only have a few here that have/had a Garden RR.
I don't know if they are still active.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I had G scale outdoors for several years before coming back to HO. Unlike all other scales there is no consistency in G. Depending on the manufacturer there are 1:20, 1:22, 1;29 and 1;32 size trains all of which run on gauge 1 (45mm) track. Couplers from different manufacturers usually don't match so many G scalers stick with one brand. There were websites like Largescalecentral.com, and Mylargescale.com that you could try. Good luck

·
Registered
108 Posts
Building outside means that you will be dealing with everything Mother Nature can throw at you. Depending on your location you'll be dealing with rain, wind, snow, hail, leaves, bugs and animals. You'll need to learn how to deal with all this fun stuff. I encourage you to read about garden railroads; read some more; and keep reading.

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ohh does anyone have any good starting garden railroad reccomendations or tips for me? Anyone have a certain Brand or loco or train set?
Thanks!

·
Registered
4,357 Posts
Yes. You start with a lot of money and then spend a mint's worth more.

·
Registered
4,725 Posts
G is the most common outdoor scale...it has the heft to move some of the things that MadDog mentioned. Some folks have done O and even HO, but I'd never try it. I think G scale is more weather resistant than any other scales.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I strongly suggest that you try the websites mentioned in post #3. Those are good places to start.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
G is the most common outdoor scale...it has the heft to move some of the things that MadDog mentioned. Some folks have done O and even HO, but I'd never try it. I think G scale is more weather resistant than any other scales.
The way I thought it was is that Garden trains, whether HO, O or G scale or other, would not be run or kept out in the elements.
Though I guess G is a little better choice for outside.
A lot of the ones I have read about is that some have a track running right indoors. A door to open or shut.....that is the way to go. :)(y)
I only came across a few of those type, but all the rest bring in their trains when done.
Would make sense. :rolleyes:

I never saw any run in the rain?
I did see some running thru snow pushing a snowplow, but it was not raining or snowing when they shot the video.

For the price of a nice G scale locomotive mine would be in side ALL the time when not running.
Around here the deer might eat them, or who knows they might even walk off with one. :)

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The way I thought it was is that Garden trains, whether HO, O or G scale or other, would not be run or kept out in the elements.
Though I guess G is a little better choice for outside.
A lot of the ones I have read about is that some have a track running right indoors. A door to open or shut.....that is the way to go. :)(y)
I only came across a few of those type, but all the rest bring in their trains when done.
Would make sense. :rolleyes:

I never saw any run in the rain?
I did see some running thru snow pushing a snowplow, but it was not raining or snowing when they shot the video.

For the price of a nice G scale locomotive mine would be in side ALL the time when not running.
Around here the deer might eat them, or who knows they might even walk off with one. :)
Thanks! Does anyone use a door or special thing so they don't have to keep a door open and accidental let fly's and such in? :)

·
Registered
108 Posts

My layout is outside under a covered patio. I use a lot of water resistant materials. I don't worry about clean rails since my locos are battery powered.

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
View attachment 547330

My layout is outside under a covered patio. I use a lot of water resistant materials. I don't worry about clean rails since my locos are battery powered.

Do you get a lot of rain or snow on it?
You in the desert?
Get a lot of sand blowing in on your table?
You get weathering for free? :)

·
Railroad Tycoon
24,336 Posts
1 - 20 of 40 Posts