Model Train Forum banner

Garden Railway?

4K views 39 replies 8 participants last post by  I like Model Trains! 
#1 ·
I've been considering starting a railway in my small garden but don't know much about this topic. I'm not sure what track to use or where to get the items that I need. I also don't know if I should use a certain type of controller, either dc or dcc, or what brand train or track. Do garden railways usually have extra buildings? I was thinking people here would know about this topic.
Thanks!

#2 ·
A lot about Garden RR here, All-Gauge Model Railroading Page
Scroll down to Large scale and Garden railways.
Lots of how to and pictures and more there.
I never did G a scale layout outside.

We only have a few here that have/had a Garden RR.
I don't know if they are still active.

#3 ·
I had G scale outdoors for several years before coming back to HO. Unlike all other scales there is no consistency in G. Depending on the manufacturer there are 1:20, 1:22, 1;29 and 1;32 size trains all of which run on gauge 1 (45mm) track. Couplers from different manufacturers usually don't match so many G scalers stick with one brand. There were websites like Largescalecentral.com, and Mylargescale.com that you could try. Good luck

#4 ·
Building outside means that you will be dealing with everything Mother Nature can throw at you. Depending on your location you'll be dealing with rain, wind, snow, hail, leaves, bugs and animals. You'll need to learn how to deal with all this fun stuff. I encourage you to read about garden railroads; read some more; and keep reading.

#9 ·
G is the most common outdoor scale...it has the heft to move some of the things that MadDog mentioned. Some folks have done O and even HO, but I'd never try it. I think G scale is more weather resistant than any other scales.

#11 ·
The way I thought it was is that Garden trains, whether HO, O or G scale or other, would not be run or kept out in the elements.
Though I guess G is a little better choice for outside.
A lot of the ones I have read about is that some have a track running right indoors. A door to open or shut.....that is the way to go. :)(y)
I only came across a few of those type, but all the rest bring in their trains when done.
Would make sense. :rolleyes:

I never saw any run in the rain?
I did see some running thru snow pushing a snowplow, but it was not raining or snowing when they shot the video.

For the price of a nice G scale locomotive mine would be in side ALL the time when not running.
Around here the deer might eat them, or who knows they might even walk off with one. :)

#17 ·
View attachment 547330

My layout is outside under a covered patio. I use a lot of water resistant materials. I don't worry about clean rails since my locos are battery powered.

Do you get a lot of rain or snow on it?
You in the desert?
Get a lot of sand blowing in on your table?
You get weathering for free? :)

#22 ·
No problem, I just wanted to let you know.
You did it in another post too, I figured you did not realize I was quoting.

If you look you will see where I quoted mad dog.

#24 ·
Here is one of our members and his club built a G scale Garden like layout.
Look through the thread I t starts from the first day of the build.
( i think it is the first day)
You can apply some of their build into your plans, or get other ideals.
Hell, if your close enough they may be taking in more members.:)

Here. New CT Outdoor Garden RR

#26 ·
I don't think you can anyway now that I re looked at his thread.

I mean if you can find a club that models Garden trains it might be better to join up.
You learn while you help build and maintain the RR.
Then you can slowly buy your trains.
You might even be able to run them if you were a member.

That is what I mean. :geek:

#29 ·
I'm in Southern California so no snow. Do get rain but it's a covered patio so things might get a little damp sometimes. Mostly have to deal with leaves getting blown on the layout and bugs.

I use TiteBond III glue for most things. Hills, mountains, roads are made with mortar instead of plaster. I have a collection of dirt and sand that gets glued down with diluted TiteBond. The adobe buildings are made with Durham's Water Putty. Buildings get hit with a coat of UV spray.

For BPRC (battery power remote control) I've used regular RC electronics like FlySky and MRC's Loco Genie. I use 7.4 volt Li-Po batteries for power.

#42 was an Athearn SW1500 modified to 1/35 scale. Has MRC Loco Genie crammed into the cab along with batteries. #8 has regular RC components in the tender along with a battery. #8 use to be a Tyco Shifter again modified.

My biggest fear is a loco deciding to go cross country and falling into the concrete canyon below. #8 has gone off on her own a few times taking out signs and an outhouse once.

The tipple off to the right actually loads the ore cars.

"... the one thing around the railroad that worked every time was a derail."

#30 ·
I'm in Southern California so no snow. Do get rain but it's a covered patio so things might get a little damp sometimes. Mostly have to deal with leaves getting blown on the layout and bugs.

I use TiteBond III glue for most things. Hills, mountains, roads are made with mortar instead of plaster. I have a collection of dirt and sand that gets glued down with diluted TiteBond. The adobe buildings are made with Durham's Water Putty. Buildings get hit with a coat of UV spray.

For BPRC (battery power remote control) I've used regular RC electronics like FlySky and MRC's Loco Genie. I use 7.4 volt Li-Po batteries for power.

View attachment 547332

#42 was an Athearn SW1500 modified to 1/35 scale. Has MRC Loco Genie crammed into the cab along with batteries. #8 has regular RC components in the tender along with a battery. #8 use to be a Tyco Shifter again modified.

My biggest fear is a loco deciding to go cross country and falling into the concrete canyon below. #8 has gone off on her own a few times taking out signs and an outhouse once.

The tipple off to the right actually loads the ore cars.

"... the one thing around the railroad that worked every time was a derail."
Cool RR, what is the track? All hand laid down? Rail and ties?
Looks great, put a 2 x 2 at the drop off?

#32 ·
Rail is mostly code 100, with some code 83 & 70. Handlaid on basswood ties. The stub switches are hand made, and the point switches are Atlas switch kits from the 1960s.

Ed, I have a barrier at end-of-track, but that's not the problem. With battery power the loco will keep going, rails or no rails, as long as you give it power. I've run these locos on the dining room table.

#33 ·
I never had any battery operated trains, except my K Mart Christmas Train I bought in 1992. Like G scale almost.
Still runs.

#34 ·
Battery power certainly eliminates many electrical problems. If a decent DCC decoder runs about $50 you can install BPRC for less. And you don't need those expensive power stations and all that wiring. With G scale you should have enough room under the shell for RC parts. If not you can certainly put everything in a trailer car (boxcar).

If you are just starting a garden railway start small. See how you like it. You can always add on and move up to BPRC later. Stay away from that cheap Bachmann steel rail. It will rust up in no time.

#36 ·
Gramps is correct. Most garden railroads are on the ground, or maybe slightly raised, and will require almost constant maintenance. Plants and ground cover need to be cut back. Track will need to be cleaned (unless you go with battery power). If you have a vegetable garden you know how you need to check on it every day. The plus side is that you are much closer to being like the prototype. You're using real dirt, rocks, and plants.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.