Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With some time on my hands, I am itching to repair this little 44-tonner!

It stopped running a couple of years ago and I suspect it's just dirt or a disconnected wire inside.

Any suggestions before I begin to disassemble it? I've never taken a locomotive apart before...

Thanks!

·
Registered
4,160 Posts
Loco-motive;

First, before disassembling the loco, have you cleaned the wheels. the track. and the wheel wipers? You can test the locomotive with a nine-volt battery held on the wheels. See if the headlight comes on, or the motor hums at all. If none of that works, you will need to take the loco apart, at least partially.
There are two tools that will make the job easier. A multimeter, and a locomotive cradle. (see photos) The cradle will hold the loco bottom side up without marring the paint job. Mine is made of three pieces of scrap lumber and some felt. You can buy an extremely overpriced piece of foam rubber with a slot cut in it, sold as a locomotive cradle, from walthers or Micro Mark if you prefer. The multimeter will be very handy for many jobs around the railroad, including finding out where the power disappeared between the wheels and the motor, of this loco. I can't tell you any specifics about taking this particular loco apart. I will tel you it's a very good precaution to take photos of each step in disassembly, so you can see where things need to go when you finish the repair.

good luck;

Traction Fan

Attachments

·
Registered
325 Posts
I try and read the decoder info before I take something apart to see if it is actually not reading. But like traction fan said make sure your traack and all is clean. Sometimes as a loco sits it's been known to forget the info and needs to be reprogrammed, but I would do all of this first then to take it apart and find out this is all it needed.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Loco-motive;

First, before disassembling the loco, have you cleaned the wheels. the track. and the wheel wipers? You can test the locomotive with a nine-volt battery held on the wheels. See if the headlight comes on, or the motor hums at all. If none of that works, you will need to take the loco apart, at least partially.
There are two tools that will make the job easier. A multimeter, and a locomotive cradle. (see photos) The cradle will hold the loco bottom side up without marring the paint job. Mine is made of three pieces of scrap lumber and some felt. You can buy an extremely overpriced piece of foam rubber with a slot cut in it, sold as a locomotive cradle, from walthers or Micro Mark if you prefer. The multimeter will be very handy for many jobs around the railroad, including finding out where the power disappeared between the wheels and the motor, of this loco. I can't tell you any specifics about taking this particular loco apart. I will tel you it's a very good precaution to take photos of each step in disassembly, so you can see where things need to go when you finish the repair.

good luck;

Traction Fan
Thanks for the advice. I did clean the wheels and track, other loco's still run just fine. I've tried alcohol and vinegar at different times and no luck just cleaning the wheels.

I don't know if the wheel wipers are accessible from below of if some disassembly is required?

I have a MM too and I'll follow your suggestions, thanks!

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I try and read the decoder info before I take something apart to see if it is actually not reading. But like traction fan said make sure your traack and all is clean. Sometimes as a loco sits it's been known to forget the info and needs to be reprogrammed, but I would do all of this first then to take it apart and find out this is all it needed.
Thanks, I don't have a DCC decoder though. I just run this on DC... Don't know if there is something I can check there...

On the other hand, I always felt like this was a dirt issue since it slowly went from randomly stalling to barely running with help to now, it occasional will just lurch.

·
Railroad Tycoon
23,975 Posts
Pop the shell off and take a look? If you rip it apart take pictures?
I don't have that locomotive, I do have others but I really have not got into servicing N scale yet.
Matter of fact I have little experience even running N scale.
The hardest part I see about working non the N is eye site.:)
My N scale soon I am going to start working on my N as I have time now.
How I got mine,

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
UPDATE: I took the locomotive apart and used alternating treatments of electrical contact cleaner and vinegar on the trucks. Once I put it back together, it runs much better but not as I would expect.

It stalls out at slow speeds on the crossing and at turnouts (Kato unitrack). I checked and only one set of trucks seems to be providing power to the locomotive.

Anyone think both should be providing power?

Pics of the disassembly for those interested.....

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
So it doesn't have DCC, despite being plainly marked "DCC Onboard"? Even if you're running it in DC only, it could still be a decoder issue.

Short wheelbase locos stalling on turnouts with unpowered points is a common problem,. You can add power pickups to the other truck; that would certainly help Or you could add a capacitor (if one will fit-- I have this same model in HO, and I had to use an N scale decoder).

I will say that those wheels don't look very clean to me. Removing that crud (or corrosion) will probably go a long way towards getting the old gal running again. A tiny bit of lubricant on the moving parts will help, too.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So it doesn't have DCC, despite being plainly marked "DCC Onboard"? Even if you're running it in DC only, it could still be a decoder issue.

Short wheelbase locos stalling on turnouts with unpowered points is a common problem,. You can add power pickups to the other truck; that would certainly help Or you could add a capacitor (if one will fit-- I have this same model in HO, and I had to use an N scale decoder).

I will say that those wheels don't look very clean to me. Removing that crud (or corrosion) will probably go a long way towards getting the old gal running again. A tiny bit of lubricant on the moving parts will help, too.
So maybe I didn't use the right terminology, it clearly has DCC, I don't have any way to interact with the DCC since I only have a DC controller...... perhaps that's the correct way to say it.

The wheels do look dirty, I'll give them another cleaning, maybe try another method. Thanks...

·
Registered
9,863 Posts
So maybe I didn't use the right terminology, it clearly has DCC, I don't have any way to interact with the DCC since I only have a DC controller...... perhaps that's the correct way to say it.

The wheels do look dirty, I'll give them another cleaning, maybe try another method. Thanks...
No worries. I probably just read it wrong. I understand what you meant: YOU don't use DCC.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts