Model Train Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Powerpalooza
If you've got it, it'll pull it.

My grandson has the Rivarossi version, which will pull 40 or 50 cars... and that's impressive.

My 113-car coal drag is pulled by a consist of three SD's, and that's enough muscle to negotiate any of the mainline grades on the club layout.

But recently, a club member got a Genesis Big Boy, and bragged that it would pull my drag with no problem.
He was right.
It pulled the entire thing for hours without overheating, and slowed only slightly on grade inclines.
ATHG88407~3.jpg

·
Registered
225 Posts
My 113-car coal drag is pulled by a consist of three SD's, but recently, a club member got a Genesis Big Boy...It pulled the entire thing for hours without overheating...
Impressive load for just one loco😮

·
Premium Member
4,137 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Just saw a YouTube vid of this thing pulling 156 cars on a room-to-room floor setup.
A literal 'tail chaser'.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the Big Boy loco connects to the tender the same way the Challenger does. With the Challenger that 'C' on the end of the plastic drawbar snaps around a post inside the tender shell. Doesn't take very much pull to disconnect it - maybe five lbs. I can't see it pulling 156 cars and not disconnecting.

·
Registered
2,189 Posts
It would be interesting to know if the Big Boy loco connects to the tender the same way the Challenger does. With the Challenger that 'C' on the end of the plastic drawbar snaps around a post inside the tender shell. Doesn't take very much pull to disconnect it - maybe five lbs. I can't see it pulling 156 cars and not disconnecting.

View attachment 544541
That is the set-up my Athearn Genesis Big Boy has on it. Can't speak as to pulling power or how much force it takes to uncouple since the layout is still under construction. :(

·
Registered
1,911 Posts
That is the set-up my Athearn Genesis Big Boy has on it. Can't speak as to pulling power or how much force it takes to uncouple since the layout is still under construction. :(
Don’t worry, the real thing wouldn’t pull 150 laden coal hoppers either, even at 50 tons. Not on the Wasatch grade.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts