1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A 2K era Catfish
(for my contemporary side).
A departure from 'yester-year'.

Norfolk Southern diesels are ubiquitous here in the Carolinas, and I've fallen hopelessly in love with the black "Catfish" paint scheme and thoroughbred logo.
Now I can better participate in "2K Nites".

I picked this one out of three that an LHS friend let me test-run. I had my heart set on #2800, but it had address issues.

This is the first of a 3-diesel (mixed) consist.
Although I'm in no way knowledgeable about these modern diesels, I at least know that it's numbered correctly.
No mods or adds needed, except Kadees. As you can see, it's quite well detailed out-of-the-box. Celcon handrails are near scale. FWIW, the cab interior is highly detailed (but the seats are not occupied).
Like my Genesis GP9, it's a very smooth runner. Sound is A+, and lighting is 'good'. Ditchlight function and flashrate are the best I've ever seen, making it an ideal candidate as a consist frontrunner.

One criticism:
Athearn still stubbornly resists the employment of LED lighting.

A Genesis SD70M, (NS) and a BLI ES44AC (CSX) have been test-run and put on layaway. The CSX will run sandwiched/#2.
The last photo shows a mixed co-op (NS/CSX). Although the practice isn't common, it's occasionally observed around here. Both railroads have hubs in the Carolinas.

20190302_175402~2.jpg

20190302_180652~3.jpg

20190302_180657~2.jpg

04_NS83951-1024x674.jpg

·
Registered
227 Posts
I think I'm gonna paint up my hand railings. That's a nice touch. And clearly, some prototypes did it as well.

·
Registered
3,768 Posts
Polycarbonate paint

I think I'm gonna paint up my hand railings. That's a nice touch. And clearly, some prototypes did it as well.
Latestarter, gorgeous work as always! :thumbsup: :appl:

Stan D;

You might want to use polycarbonate paint on those hand rails. Handrails bend when the locomotive is handled, which tends to crack many paints; and skin oils can help to remove some of the paint from the rails too. Polycarbonate paints are used on radio-controlled model cars because the polycarbonate paints are flexible, and very tough. They stand up much better to dents, bends, and handling, than most conventional model paints do.

Traction Fan :smilie_daumenpos:

·
Premium Member
3,657 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Grandson talked me into it:
All three diesels will be bottom-weathered, similar to those in the prototype co-op photo.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts