Model Train Forum banner

41 - 60 of 7418 Posts

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #41
I just picked up a couple more cars including this Santa Fe wood chip hopper car... I bought everything from the same guy, and when I was looking through his completed listings I noticed that this car did not sell (from like a week ago)... I sent him a message with an offer and he was nice enough to relist it for me with a Buy It Now price of my offer :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,617 Posts
Discussion Starter #44 (Edited)
I got my cars in the mail today... The guy transposed my PO Box number, but luckily the Post Office sorted everything out and I am glad that someone else did not make off with my trains! :eek:

The seller also said they were "new in original box" and rated them a C-9... Well, from looking at the trucks it looks like they did go around the tracks a few times... They were not damaged or anything, so they must have been handled by a responsible modeler... I figured it was not worth my time to complain since I will end up running them someday... Still though, to me new is new and used is used, period :rolleyes:

---------------

So did anyone get anything for Christmas? I just ask for money and then buy the trains of my choice :lol_hitting:

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
Don't bother complaining... Unless you are positive the item is brand new, it's just not worth it, I have now held my tongue quite a few times in eBay land... Sad to say, but expect that at least someone tested the trains out before you did :)

Hard to tell on certain models though.. Alot of my 'nicer' LGB passenger coaches have steel wheels and it's impossible to tell if they have been on the tracks before.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
WAAAAA-HOOOOOO!!!!!! Just got a replacement for my Rivarossi 2-8-8-2 NW Mallet!!!! I have to post on the Classifieds that I no longer need another. I'd take one if the price is right though.

$79 on EBAY!!!! It is an older model, having more cast parts where my original had plastic parts. I did snipe though. Feel bad about that, but I've recovered.

My original was my Dad's(passed in July,1999). I had loaned it to a rail modeling club to pull a 100-car coal load for a local show. When I opened it a few weeks after it was returned, I found that it must have hit the floor. Drivers bent, frame cracked.....And no one knew what happened. Imagine that!!! I'll probably still have the original repaired, if I can find someone that can do that. I heard of a place in, or near Cincinnati, but can't find any info on it. Anyone have any recommendations please forward them to me.

The engines have different road numbers, might be neat to have (2)100-car consists running at the same time. I definitely have enough coal cars to make that happen. I could actually use one of my decopods(10-wheelers) I'd have to set up the whole layout in order to be able to have THAT many cars on the layout all at once.

I may just build a display for Dad's old Mallet, with a few of coal cars and a 'boose. I'd hate to break it again if I ever get it fixed. Accident do happen. Seems such a waste not to run it though. Dad would want it rolling on the rails, I'm sure.

I received for Christmas some passenger cars to finish my Wabash, Monon, and Pere Marquette trains. The Pere Marquette will need a more applicable engine as the train is now being headed by a Berkshire, normally a high speed freight loco. Looking for an E-8, F-7, or a newer steam engine to pull it. The Wabash has a set of E-8 A/B's. The Monon is towed by a set of F-7, A/B's. I also have a set of Alco PA/B for the Monon and the Nickel Plate.

The Conductor(my better half) went to a lot of trouble locating a couple of the cars. She can be a sweetheart sometimes. And she is the "chief scenic designer" on the layout, a good thing to have around.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
I'm not "loaning" anything unless I am participating. Live and learn.

I haven't received the engine yet, it "in the mail". I hope that it is up to its description and my expectations. A great "add" to the collection if it's anywhere close.

I have the decoder plug and speaker sitting on top of the "tool box". The soldering iron is at the ready too. I am just installing a decoder plug and will use the decoder from the "busted" Mallet until I can order another decoder. I can't remember where I got the sound chip for the Mallet. Gotta dig that up. I do know that it was rather salty, but DOES SOUND GOOD. Mallets and other compounds sound so much different from other engines.

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Ordered the silverado/virgina truckee set g scale will be here friday hopefully

Last piece of G-scale I bought was about three years ago. I bought a Shay and it was $ALTY.....Think I'll stay with HO. A friend has the units you are anticipating. Nice little, figuratively speaking, set up.

·
Registered
64 Posts

·
Registered
762 Posts
I got some new stuff today.
I bought a Campbell's soup company train collection, Limited Edition. They are "Life-Like" models..in HO.
It says 1982 on the side of the engine. I'm woundering if these we're made in 1982...:confused:

They appear to be in perfect condition..not even a speck of dust... They we're not in a box..just in a display case in the store..
I have more photos of them also..

41 - 60 of 7418 Posts