Model Train Forum banner

7361 - 7380 of 7403 Posts

·
Registered
4,255 Posts
Chet, it's just spectacular! Thanks for showing it to us.

·
Registered
5,496 Posts
Chet, I am a big fan of the Northern Pacific, had a few family members back in the day working for them. Love the NP's pine tree paint scheme.

Bill

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Very nice looking set, Chet, running on two very nice layouts.
I really like the look of multiple locos pulling long trains.
I run ABBs 'cause I could never remember which way was forward with ABAs.

Magic
Magic, I like to get over to the club and try to run long trains. At home my layout was built mainly for switching and the longest trains that I usually run are 12 to 14 cars long.

I was a bit disappointed with the performance of some of the DCC locomotives I had (gong gone) as they were lucky to pull 19 cars up the grades on the club layout if I was lucky. Unfortunately, the weight of many DCC locomotives is reduced in order to make room for the decoder and in some cases the speaker.

I had been on the look out for months if not years for Northern Pacific locomotives for the transition era. There were a lot of switchers available, but little in the area of main line road power.

These F-7's are Walthers Mainline series and a special run for the NP. The drive is exactly the same as their Proto series, with just a little less detail on the shell. I can add that.

Seayakbill
, I am also a Northern Pacific fan as I rode on the North Coast Limited numerous times when I was a kid and even got to ride the the cab of some steam locomotives.

I don't know if you saw the cab ride video I made last year at the club. Here it is.

I was hoping to get over to the club tonight but there is a winter storm warning out and the club is a 50 mile trip over Bozeman Pass. Think I'll pass this week.

·
Registered
407 Posts
I believe someone imported the Crusader loco and train in brass maybe 20 years ago? For the not-faint-of-heart, Mantua made a kit for this loco back in the 1940's. I built one for a friend and it was no piece of cake. One of the not-fun things was that the decals had degraded so that they crumbled when you tried to wet them. I was able to save them by spraying some clear Krylon onto the sheets. Made them a little thick, but at least usable.

·
Registered
491 Posts
Yep, it's the RailKing one, I got it off Ebay and I was very surprised to find one for under $200 since I've only seen it at a few train shows, and even then when I saw it, it was $400+ for the engine and tender alone. It's a very good engine, the entire thing is metal and it's heavier than any of my other O-gauge trains- it even tends to pull the track apart since I don't have it secured down :eek: The 400E Blue Comet itself is the only thing I've been looking for even more than this. There are definitely HO scale versions of the Crusader, I've seen the sets before, but strangely enough they seem to be more rare and expensive than the larger O-scale versions, and I'm fairly certain they don't have as many features either. Don't have the cars yet, was planning on getting those later (maybe at First Frost if they show up there) since the entire set with the engine can be really expensive.

·
Registered
240 Posts
My purchase at the local train store today. A European haunted house. Fitting for the month we are in and also fitting since I model German railways
20191005_161404_1570316132979.jpg 20191005_161411_1570316168494.jpg 20191005_161431_1570316195679.jpg 20191005_161423_1570316216522.jpg

·
Registered
624 Posts
I was never a GE fan in my working days (the EMD's were the superior engine), but I saw this Rivarossi U25c on ebay and grabbed it for the minimum bid. I put a 21 pin ESU #53614 decoder into it, Kadee #148 couplers, and it runs just fine! PC 6517 (lightroom).jpg
(the pic is actually about 7 images "stacked" to produce a fully-focused image)

·
Registered
1,944 Posts
Nice building, Wolferz. I found that many of the old Model Power kits were actually European type buildings. They can often be had for pretty cheap prices.

JA49, the u-boat is a great model. When I was set up as an Engineer, we had mostly U34s (U36s) and they were big locomotives. When you got used to their particular traits, they were actually nice to run.

Your new model represents a “under represented” railroad. Sure, many people hated the PC, but they were around when I was a kid. There are very slim pickings for PC stuff, especially on O scale....

Tom

·
Registered
1,107 Posts
Bunch of stuff

Got a bunch of stuff from a fellow modeler who passed. My cousin helped clean out the attic.

And of course this stuff will not fit on my layout :mad:

Coming soon to a SELL TO MEMBER sub-forum.

Attachments

7361 - 7380 of 7403 Posts