Model Train Forum banner

7461 - 7480 of 7516 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Nice! I have the same transformer packed away with my Lionel OO set.

I have these two classics that work well, but they need added breakers for using with modern stuff...

Tom

View attachment 550325
yep.. I've got the big Z like yours on the left..and while it does work perfectly, you're right..it'll trip when trying to run more than one train..so for christmas tree time, it only gets assigned to one of the tracks for the old tinplate gear..and I use contemporary MTH controllers for the other lines so that I can leverage the basic protosounds fun for the grandkids.

·
Registered
184 Posts
As well as collecting North American models I also like Swiss and French locos. Here are some I bought recently.
They are all 2-rail DCC H0 scale although the first is sitting on Marklin track as it has a catenary fitted.

Swiss Ae 8/14 by Roco. DCC and sound in both units.
Three locomotives of this wheel configuration were built between 1931 and 1938 each to a slightly different design and were intended to reduce double heading over the Gotthard line.
They produced about 11,000 Horse power and were sometimes called the "Swiss Big Boy"
This one was modified in 1961 with a new type cab similar to the Ae6/6 locos of that era.
One of the 3 still exists in working order and is in the Swiss Transport Museum.
This version was scrapped in about 1976.

And now some French locos.

SNCF 231 K
Model by REE with DCC and sound and sychronised puffing smoke from funnel and cylinders.

SNCF 231 D also by REE with similar sound and smoke.

Colin.

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
First up: FEC #608. Proto 2000 blue box, so it needs the gears replaced and a decoder installed. #620 also acquired.

Next: NC Texas #612. Proto 2000 silver box (Walthers) so gears should be good. DCC w/sound installed. Another just like it also acquired. Wasn't paying attention and didn't do any research or I would have known this loco was the only one in this paint scheme. So the second will get a re-paint.

The cab doors open on the blue box locos, not the silver.

·
Registered
28 Posts
As well as collecting North American models I also like Swiss and French locos. Here are some I bought recently.
They are all 2-rail DCC H0 scale although the first is sitting on Marklin track as it has a catenary fitted.

View attachment 550597

Swiss Ae 8/14 by Roco. DCC and sound in both units.
Three locomotives of this wheel configuration were built between 1931 and 1938 each to a slightly different design and were intended to reduce double heading over the Gotthard line.
They produced about 11,000 Horse power and were sometimes called the "Swiss Big Boy"
This one was modified in 1961 with a new type cab similar to the Ae6/6 locos of that era.
One of the 3 still exists in working order and is in the Swiss Transport Museum.
This version was scrapped in about 1976.

And now some French locos.

View attachment 550598

SNCF 231 K
Model by REE with DCC and sound and sychronised puffing smoke from funnel and cylinders.

View attachment 550599

SNCF 231 D also by REE with similar sound and smoke.

Colin.
Wow... Very very nice EMD. Well done mate

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Ebay find. Advertised as "with torpedo tubes". I thought, "WTH?" So I had to look it up.

The GP7 was also available with or without dynamic brakes, and a steam generator installed in the short hood was also an option. In the latter case, the 1,600 US gallons fuel tank was divided, with half for diesel fuel, and half for boiler water. One option available for locomotives without dynamic brakes, was to remove the two 22.5 in × 102 in. air reservoir tanks from under the frame, and replace them with four 12 in × 150.25 in. tanks that were installed on the roof of the locomotive, above the prime mover. These "torpedo tubes" as they were nicknamed, enabled the fuel and water tanks to be increased to 1,100 US gallons each, although some railroads opted for roof-mounted air tanks and 2,200 US gallons fuel tanks on their freight ‘Geeps’.
It'll double-head with an RF&P GP7 also with "torpedo tubes".

Coupler on one end was broken off along with the drop step on the other end, which should be easily fixed. Proto200, so it'll get the gear upgrade and a DCC decoder installed.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Ebay find. Advertised as "with torpedo tubes". I thought, "WTH?" So I had to look it up.

It'll double-head with an RF&P GP7 also with "torpedo tubes".

Coupler on one end was broken off along with the drop step on the other end, which should be easily fixed. It'll get the gear upgrade and a DCC decoder installed.

View attachment 551304

View attachment 551305
That actually looks pretty decent, I like...

·
Registered
138 Posts
9B10859B-1BA8-4AD8-9BD4-1342969D8268.jpeg
This was under my tree, was from my daughter, it’s the same train we took. From London to Paris when I took her to UK to meet family!! Just have made a good impression.. lol
Don’t have a layout this year, tried to run it on last year’s Christmas board ( still in garage) but it doesn’t like the 15 inch radius turns at all!!!!

·
Registered
28 Posts
View attachment 551681 This was under my tree, was from my daughter, it’s the same train we took. From London to Paris when I took her to UK to meet family!! Just have made a good impression.. lol
Don’t have a layout this year, tried to run it on last year’s Christmas board ( still in garage) but it doesn’t like the 15 inch radius turns at all!!!!
Very very nice Darren.

·
Registered
4,370 Posts
That looks as though it will be much happier on 24" curves than 15" curves.

7461 - 7480 of 7516 Posts