Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Deadline for pre-orders is June 30, 2020 (according to an email I got from E-Z Catch Train Shop).

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
If everyone else feels the same way as you John and they don’t get many orders, they will probably cancel production for much of the last catalog. But then you usually buy used at crazy low prices.

·
Admin
44,372 Posts
Bob, there's no way of knowing what you'll get, or what the quality might be at this point. I take it as a bad sign that Mike announced the closing before any provisions for continuation of any products were in place. His lame pronouncement that the ASC network will take care of warranty work didn't inspire confidence either. The company won't exist, but we're supposed to pickup the warranty work? I don't need anything in that catalog bad enough to shoot the dice. :)

·
Registered
663 Posts
the other forum has two posts from MTh with a lot of items they are selling off.

no discount but the post states 5 or less left of each item.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
Bob, there's no way of knowing what you'll get, or what the quality might be at this point. I take it as a bad sign that Mike announced the closing before any provisions for continuation of any products were in place. His lame pronouncement that the ASC network will take care of warranty work didn't inspire confidence either. The company won't exist, but we're supposed to pickup the warranty work? I don't need anything in that catalog bad enough to shoot the dice. :)
I don’t share your concerns over quality. I suppose it’s possible that the factory will slack off on QC knowing that they won’t be doing business with MTH after these last runs. I’m hoping that QC won’t suffer for the last runs, but as a customer, if I get a defective product, I can just return it. And since I’m getting mine from an LHS, it only costs me a 20-minute drive.

Since MTH does not pay labor for warranty work (other than the privilege of selling new MTH trains), I might be concerned if I was an NASC or an ASC that sold new MTH trains. Since Henning’s (an ASC) doesn’t sell new MTH trains, how does that affect you?

·
Admin
44,372 Posts
Henning's does occasionally sell MTH stuff, but they're primarily a Lionel shop. Of course in the last couple years, Henning's opened up to selling everything from O-gauge to N-gauge, so they have a wider selection. I know I won't be doing warranty work for free, I can tell you that. :D

·
Registered
3,603 Posts
I certainly wouldn't hold my breath to see these produced by a company that is being sold.

But then again, I don't do pre-orders for anything, only to have my hopes dashed when it never comes to market.

·
Registered
467 Posts
I was on the fence about the Nickel Plate passenger cars in this catalog but I went ahead and pre-ordered them even after the closing announcement. I really like MTH Premier passenger cars. At current prices, Lionel's 18" cars are twice the price. Now that we're down to essentially one company, I can't see that getting better. And it may be decades before they do them. So hopefully they get delivered. If not, oh well. There's always HO! 😭

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I talked to Dave at Nicholas Smith today (to add to my pre-order). He said some small shops [like E-Z Catch] put a deadline on pre-orders. Also said Nicholas Smith will take pre-orders until the last minute, but if you wait too long, they might not be able to get what you want.

·
Registered
338 Posts
Unless Lionel starts making one, and depending on what happens to MTH molds, it might be a while until you see some of the unique offerings that MTH has such as the AeroTrain and the TurboTrain. For those interesting in either of those, you might want to put your order in now.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Today is the last day to pre-order from Mario's Trains as well. I suspect the dealers have a deadline to get their orders to MTH so production numbers can be determined.

·
Registered
602 Posts
I had my order in before the announcement. I get it - some members are not huge MTH fans. Competition, to paraphrase Gordan Gecko - is good for business. Without MTH, the O Scale new offerings are going to be slim. And I get it, most of us buy from the secondary market and rightly so. New stuff is far more expensive than the glory days. From my perspective there was a sweet spot where detail was "pretty good" and pricing was not yet adjusted for inflation. Or was it. I look back through MTH from 25 years ago and I don't see a demonstrative uptick in pricing, yet detail is improved, variety is improved and we went to PS3.

Lionel just breathed a big sigh of relief as their major competitor is out. That's like Ford quitting and GM being the only major domestic manufacturer. You think GM is going to roll up their sleeves and put out MORE, BETTER product? No way.

I have not seen anything from MTH 2020 - 1, and I am starting to get worried. I have $1700 on account at the LHS and $2700 in Vol 1 2020 orders. Most of it "must have" because they are not items I have seen in the past.

I am curious to see what becomes of the secondary marketplace for MTH. With no more product, will asking prices increase? This would be in the face of the aging of the hobby and collections still coming on the market. (i.e. surplus) Do you think with some of the road names and styles offered in the last 2 MTH catalogs that some LHS and other retailers will gamble to place orders for their own inventory so they have MTH content to sell for the future?

It's a curiosity for me. I think they would be prudent to order high, but that places them in a position to have to sell the items and carry the cost. Here's the curiosity - orders get placed, there is "last of the manufacturer" ordering, some hoarding - and MTH effectively lives on for another 3-4 years before these last catalog items run out.

No amount of ordering would have changed this, as noted, the building sold and that was the hang up.

·
Registered
663 Posts
It's a curiosity for me. I think they would be prudent to order high, but that places them in a position to have to sell the items and carry the cost. Here's the curiosity - orders get placed, there is "last of the manufacturer" ordering, some hoarding - and MTH effectively lives on for another 3-4 years before these last catalog items run out.

No amount of ordering would have changed this, as noted, the building sold and that was the hang up.

here is another thing that could happen. factory knows MTH is closing and orders are so low the factory says not enough orders so nothing will be made.

With the building sold how long can MTH stay there.

·
Admin
44,372 Posts
I had my order in before the announcement. I get it - some members are not huge MTH fans.
Not at all, I like MTH stuff and I have a bunch of it. Just didn't see anything in the catalog that called my name, and it doesn't help that support is pretty questionable for stuff that does get shipped next year.

·
Registered
602 Posts
Agreed, the building is sold. I was just projecting that this last inventory may last at dealers for awhile, helping MTH "live on." I just bought a Premier U30C Burlington that was a 2017 offering, but was still at MTH.

·
Registered
4,446 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Do you think with some of the road names and styles offered in the last 2 MTH catalogs that some LHS and other retailers will gamble to place orders for their own inventory so they have MTH content to sell for the future?
Good question. I wonder what will happen to some of the retailers that rely heavily on MTH sales. Just Trains of Delaware for example sells mostly MTH stuff and very little Lionel stuff.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts