Model Train Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So after 30+ years dominated by a career and family, I am diving back into Lionel, I have been accumulating postwar equipment for a while and now will begin a layout. Problems are, limited space for a layout, so I'm going to the garage, which is not heated, and being on Long Island, humidity is also a concern. This will be a temporary layout as moving to the Carolina's is firmly in our future, (5 or 6 years away) so my thought is 8x12, I may look to go conventional for power as I do not own any command control items. Can someone refresh my memory in terms of grades that postwar stuff can handle, I am trying to keep everything under 2.5. I purchased Anyrail for planning and am strongly considering Gargraves for track and Ross custom for switches. I am open to any and all advice, thanks everyone.
Gary

·
Registered
8,860 Posts
Welcome. 2.5% sounds like a good limit on grades. Conventional is fine. I went back to it after a brief flirt with Legacy twelve years ago. Never regretted that.

I'm in the Carolinas now. You will like it here when you move down.

·
Registered
5,044 Posts
Welcome to the forum Gary. There is a lot of good people with good advise. Unfortunately I know nothing about grades.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I COLLECT WHAT I LIKE INCLUDING LIONEL

Howdy & Welcome aboard to MTF's O gauge section. I am glad someone else is running a conventional roster. Lots of info available here on the O Gauge forum. How are you all handling that 3rd Nor Easter? I bet that your garage is a wee bit to cool right now to be out there running trains.

LET THE FUN BEGIN

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Conventional

Just love the old stuff, (childhood) and can't spend more on an engine then I did on a NY mortgage payment!!! Yeah 3 nor-easters in 2 weeks not fun at all, but spring is coming and that's when the work really gets going. Clear out will be finished, a quality de-humidifier purchased (hopefully that will drain to outside) and then available electric upgraded along with lighting. All that for a layout I will hope to disassemble and transport in a few years.

·
Registered
4,365 Posts
Gargraves track, Ross switches, max 2.5% grades. Sounds like a good way to go. Make sure you can reach everything on that 8 X 12 layout or include access hatches. Since you are moving in the not too distant future, you might want to build a modular layout.

·
Registered
117 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Access

Thanks yes 2 access hatches in design, the move will be thought about in all aspects of design so that structures will be removable, the thought is be able to move 3, 4x8 sections in the move. I have a working track plan from anyrail, and will try to bring the plan here.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts