Model Train Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well I'm starting to get into. I thouht I would tackle two problems. I bought "Greenbergs Repair and Operating Manual" to use as a reference.BTW does anybody have any issues seeing the font in this book. I realize that he used original Lionel documents but my 60 year old eyes are havingproblems. I think the next investment is a magnifying glass. Man I'm old.

I must have taken things apart when I was a kid and didn't have any business doing it. So now - 50 years later - it comes back to haunt me. The 2 cars I started with are the Gang Car #50 and the Navy Yard Switcher(#51)

1--Gang Car (#50) - I must have put it back together with no brushes and springs. The break out in Greenbergs gives the P/N 's as Brushes 1661E-29 and the springs as WS-147. Does anyone know how I go about getting these sort of parts? I also didn’t put most of the screws back and I spent yesterday at Home Depot with no luck. I finally went to a local HW store and at least I identified them mostly as #4 40 1/4 and 1/8 Phillips head.

I would love to find a kit with common parts. Like a sink washer kit that gives you all the common washers. Or a kit with lubs and cleaning stuff.

2--Navy Yard Switcher (#51) This is basically the same - No brushes or springs. But in this case I can’t see where they would be mounted. There doesn't seem to be a parts break out in the reference, so I can’t get any P/N or how they would be mounted or if there are other parts involved.

I would appreciate any help or suggestions. If any additional information would be of help, please, I would be more than happy to get it to you.

Thanks again
Joe

·
16,666 Posts
Joe,

Several online sources for Lionel parts. I used Jeff Kane at the Train Tender ... www.ttender.com ... He's a straight shooter, will help you identify what you need, ships promptly, with fair shipping costs.

I'm not sure about the gang car, but Lionel used 4-36 screws quite a bit on their old stuff. This is NOT a "normal" screw by today's standards. However, a good Lionel parts supplier (like Kane) will have some 4-36 in stock.

Olsen's has a great online Lionel manual library, however it seems that their web server is down for the past day or two. See if you can poke there today to find part info on the #51:

http://pictures.olsenstoy.com/library.htm

Regards,

TJ

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I fixed the #51

TJ

I got the parts for the #50 and #51 from Jeff . I used to fix computer main frames for a living and when things went well I would get such a rush. I felt the same thing when I got the 51 to work. It was great.

So little by little I'm attacking all the small problems with the sets. I had purchased a 1033 Transformer from ebay to use to diagnose problems. It turns out that the voltage is inconsistant through the range and I was using this to test - not a good thing.

So my next step is to fix the transformer so I can fix the gang car(#50)

Thanks for your help.

Joe

1 - 6 of 6 Posts