Model Train Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I decided to try and get everything lit this winter. I bought 100 3mm & 5mm LEDS. I also order a 16 ft strip of SMD LEDS. I want to lite everything on the layout. That is all the signals, building, passenger cars etc. As the thread moves ahead stuff will light up. I started my first project with a with one of my signal displays. I never really liked the one 12v bulb I used to lite the display so I started thinking on what I needed to do. The below photos are how I went about this. The signal light in on with my RR crossing gates power supply which is 3 volts. There are no resistors.

I noticed something wrong with the project. I'm wondering if anyone else knows what that is?

George

signal_0_10_26_19.jpg

signal_1_10_26_19.jpg

signal_2_10_26_19.jpg

signal_3_10_26_19.jpg

signal_4_10_26_19.jpg

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
I believe if the semaphore arm is at 45 degrees the green indicator should be lit. At least on the DB that's the way they are set up.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Your very close Mike but not quite right. The yellow position is correct. I use to be a RR engineer so it's clear to me what I did wrong.

George

·
Registered
3,123 Posts
The only other thing I can think of, but again it pertains to Deutsche Bahn only, is that the arm would be on the right side instead of the left for an approaching train.

Signals are always on the right side of the track for an approaching train with the arm to the right.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Mike I thought this US semaphore was an universal thing but maybe your right it's not. I know on the NH this would be correct but now I'm not so sure about other Railroads. On my signal the green and the red should be switched. I just noticed this today.

George

semaphore.JPG

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
John the scale was decided by the largest hole saw diameter I owned. I needed to cut the colored lenses from some small square pieces of colored plexaglass I had. It's only to enhance the room with some RR display items. I build 3 of these signals. 1 Searchlight, 1 Dwarf and 1 Semaphore.

George

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
That's funny John. I'm retired but there's only so many hours in a day. Golf takes up a lot of my time in the summer and my wife needs a bit of my time. So no yard railroads.

George

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The first project in my lit them up series got done today. My 16 ft SMD LEDS tape I ordered will be here Friday and I'll start lighting up all the building.

George

signal_10_28_19.jpg

·
Registered
182 Posts
Hey George,

Mike I thought this US semaphore was an universal thing but maybe your right it's not. I know on the NH this would be correct but now I'm not so sure about other Railroads. On my signal the green and the red should be switched. I just noticed this today.

George

View attachment 512030
Semaphores are available in upper quadrant semphores and lower quadrant semaphores, the meaning of the aspects are the some on both.

Horizontal position means stop by red light

Diagonal Position means Caution of Danger by yellow/amber light.

Vertical up or down position aspect means clear by green light (bluegreen lense).

Two aspect semaphores have the clear position in diagonal position only.

·
Registered
722 Posts
Atlanta wrote:
"Two aspect semaphores have the clear position in diagonal position only."

NOT SO!
(you're in Europe, right? Things are different in the USA)

When I first starting running trains on Conrail on the New Haven line (former New Haven Railroad) between New Haven and G.C.T, the line still had the original old NH semaphores to govern blocks and interlockings.

At interlockings, there would be two-unit semaphores, with a 3rd unit dwarf signal on the ground. For a clear, the top semaphore would be vertical (green), the lower one horizontal (red), and the dwarf would be in the horizontal position (red) as well. Thus, green-over-red-over-red.

Two-unit automatics (governing the approach to interlockings) would display (for "clear") green-over-red.

I also briefly got to make some trips on the former Erie-Lackawanna between Binghamton and Corning (NY). The old semaphores were still installed and working in the ABS territory. That was 30 years ago -- most of the line has been single-tracked and the old semaphores are now gone.

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
On another note. I received my 16 ft surface mounted LEDS strip today. I plan on lighting all my building and passenger cars with the 300 LEDS on the strip. It also came with a 12v DC power supply. Pretty good deal for $16.00. We'll see how it goes?

George

surface_mounted_LEDS_10_30_19.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Lighted up my first 2 building with the 16 ft SMD strip I bought. I found you need to cut 3 LEDS at a time off the strip for them to work. I bought 3 different colored plastic school note books to defuse the light. That is I used them as a buffer between the LEDS and the building windows to cut down the glare. I'm pleased with the results.

George

lighting_project_1.jpg

lighting_project_2.jpg

lighting_project_3.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm continuing to get stuff lit. Here's some photos on how I used my new lights I bought a few days ago. I bought the 12 for $14.99 and used 7 in the north Janesville engine facility. 1 at the ash pit, 2 at the fueling pad, 2 at the coaling tower and 2 at the over head crane. I have 5 left which I'll use at the south passenger car shop and fueling pad. If you want the light to show a little brighter than normal you can tug a little on the SMD chip to move it down and away from the pole reflector. Remember these are 3 volt SMD LEDS and need a resistor.

George

Yard_Lights_1.jpg

Yard_Lights_2.jpg

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks Albert. Yes the tracks those NH 424's use to run over from Danbury to Hopewell Junction pass Valley Lake is be made into a rail trail this very day. The sanding tower in front of the coaling tower is modeled on the sanding tower at Brewster yard. I know you worked there for that matter so is the fueling pad.

George

·
Registered
211 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
My second batch of street lights arrived yesterday. A little different design that the first. Here's how Janesville looks after installing all the building and street lights. The street lights are 12v bulbs with the resistors attached type.

George

town_street_Lights_11_14_19.jpg

1 - 20 of 30 Posts